Thread: The Barron & Merrrill Hotel Company

Thanks

Default The Barron & Merrrill Hotel Company

Though today there are very few grand hotels that dot the landscape of the White Mountains of New Hampshire, only a century ago there were many. I was lucky enough to have a family who was not only involved in the Grand Hotel business, but they were invested in there guests, and the community they served. Many years ago back in the early 1870's a man named Asa Barron with his brother Oscar F. Barron and there business partner Cordeanio Harley Merrill formed the hotel company of Barron Merrill & Barron. First building the Twin Mountain House, leasing the Fabyan House, and Summit House, and purchasing outright the Crawford House, which was the gem of the collection. In later years after Asa Barrons death his sons would come to operate the Mt Pleasant House. There is little left of the old hotels, only scarce remnants of days gone bye, like the overgrown Amonnusuc lake behind the former site of the Crawford House, or the dam at Gibbs Brook made up of old cots from the basement of Crawfords. Though besides the Barron interests there were many other grand hotels like the Maplewood in Bethlehem or the Deer Park at No. Wood stock and the Profile House at Franconia Notch, all ellegant and massive structures, and all subsequently torn down or lost to fire. My hope is that people apreciate the contribution that these hotels and their operators had on the state of N.H. either in road improvments or economic stimulation of the locality in which they once stood!

Thanks

I remember the stories when I was growing up hiking in the Whites of the different hotels. Mountain tops, notches, by ponds and by waterfalls. The idea of riding up from NYC or Philly on a train and staying at a hotel must have been a wonderful experience.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

I'm curious asabarron, how do you feel about the Hotel and its attempts to lure the corporate world? Having somewhat of an interest in it with your family and all, do you feel it pulls away from its original purpose as a vacation destination, or can it succeed in attracting both families and corporations? I too enjoy it very much. We stayed there several times (when it was owned by people from NH) and my dad worked there in the 80's in their accounting department and I got to go with him in the summer and had a great time running around on occasion while with him.
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

Default Barron & Merill Hotel Co

Hello,
    I have no problem with the Mt Washington Hotel luring corporate entities to the place. With the obvious state of this economy, they must do what they have to do, to keep the place afloat. The days when my family owned the five hotels they did, are long gone, as are those times. Failure to adapt to the now, has brought down many grand hotels, and I hope it is different for the last truly grand hotel in the White Mountains. I thank you sir for your time.

Regards,
    J.P.B.