Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a # to call in case of emergency on mt washington?

Thanks

Default Great saying...

and great advice, Knapper. Good post!

KDT

Thanks

Call your mommy.
    Laudizen

Myths can't be translated as they did in their ancient soil. We can only find our own meaning in our own time. -Margaret Atwood, writer (1939-)

http://laudizen.com/

Thanks

Great post and great points Ryan!! Thank you for taking the time to post that!! Love the saying as well, it is sooo true but you know most men (not all men) most men are stubborn, and will not look at a map or ask for directions or even turn back to make sure they are on the right trail. This is why they made these laws up that you speak of.
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

Ryan is correct about 911 being the number to call. The 911 operator will transfer any mountain rescue calls to NH Fish and Game who will be responsible for coordinating any SAR effort. Calling other numbers might cause a delay, although I can't get 867-5309 out of my head now!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Knapper View Post
    The best number to kick start a rescue is 911. ......

- know and stick to the trails you originally set out to do as much as possible and make note of trail junctions so you know that last place you passed prior to getting lost..

Good point; also GPS is good to know as if you call up 911 and say " I'm within half a mile of the last GPS point I noted at x,y " that might just help... Here is what another member recorded and I plan to take them with me next week

http://www.mountwashington.org/forum...9644#post19644

Tim

Thanks

Don't most modern cellphones already transmit GPS data to 911 calls?
    Summa sedes non capit duos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smithtim View Post
    Good point; also GPS is good to know as if you call up 911 and say " I'm within half a mile of the last GPS point I noted at x,y " that might just help...
    A GPS is a useful tool if the user knows how to use and read them correctly. The problem that we have heard from some people is they bought these $300 (more or less) devices thinking that it would help them in a jam but before heading up, they didn't even bother looking at them until on the trail. We had a person do this last summer; got lost then tried calling 911 with false GPS readings. This slowed the rescue down more than speeding it up. But the same can be said about using a compass and map. If the hiker has no clue which way is north or how to align with north or where they are on a map, then they are just as lost. And, it should be noted, as of now, the summit does not have GPS technology so if you are relying purely on GPS coordinates for help, you will have to wait for rescue from below and not above.

Quote Originally Posted by b1029384756 View Post
    Don't most modern cellphones already transmit GPS data to 911 calls?
    Yes and no. A lot of newer phones are building in GPS technology but in a SAR class I took, they say this is a false safety net most hikers have in mind. One, a lot of phones need you to activate this feature for an extra monthly charge. If you don't have it activated, it won't work. Two, you usually have to leave your phone on. This can be difficult because in the cold, it drains your batteries and a dead phone is bad because then there is no way of calling in or out. Three, while newer phones may have this technology, Americans are on a three to four year lag on cycling up to newer technology. This has to do with cellular contracts that have you keep phones for two years before upgrading and when most upgrade, they choose the cheaper models which don't have all the bells and whistles. And while I have heard that cell phones have been used to triangulate out west, none of the cases of rescues in the Whites involved triangulation that I know of. Not sure why.
    Last edited by Knapper; 03-05-2009 at 07:25 AM.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

Ryan, nice post especially the point about learning to use the GSP before heading out

Tim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Knapper View Post
    A lot of newer phones are building in GPS technology but in a SAR class I took, they say this is a false safety net most hikers have in mind. One, a lot of phones need you to activate this feature for an extra monthly charge. If you don't have it activated, it won't work. Two, you usually have to leave your phone on. This can be difficult because in the cold, it drains your batteries and a dead phone is bad because then there is no way of calling in or out. Three, while newer phones may have this technology, Americans are on a three to four year lag on cycling up to newer technology. This has to do with cellular contracts that have you keep phones for two years before upgrading and when most upgrade, they choose the cheaper models which don't have all the bells and whistles. And while I have heard that cell phones have been used to triangulate out west, none of the cases of rescues in the Whites involved triangulation that I know of. Not sure why.
    Since 2005 the FCC has mandated that all mobile carriers provide the capability to trace calls to within a location of 100 meters or less (for FCC E911). Based on this requirement virtually every cell phone that has been sold for the last few years includes GPS. The carriers can't charge for this service and in general it isn't possible to turn off the GPS on the phone for this purpose (the GPS is enabled when a 911 call is made and the location is transmitted automatically). The GPS option is to control whether the GPS chip is on all the time and available for use in other applications (mapping, navigation, etc which are the extra services that they generally charge for). Having the GPS on definitely does drain the battery and that's why most people leave it off for other than 911.

All that being said the E911 capability is only good if the phone 1) doesn't have a dead battery, 2) can get a signal to call 911 and 3) is able to pick up the GPS signal from the satellites. The phone is an extra potential safety net, but it is definitely bad to rely on it as the means of getting a hiker out of a jam. No substitute for good planning and knowlege.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page