Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cool new features

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    How come it shows totals of some people (online and offline) and others only online donations? I've raised $100 offline but it doesn't reflect that on the main hiker page. There it shows $0. Just curious....
    That is what we call an incentive to get online pldeges

You should now see your name in lights however.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
    That is what we call an incentive to get online pldeges

You should now see your name in lights however.
    I'm all for online pledging but, some people think, "nope, not gonna do it...my identity will be stolen and that's the end of that!!" Here's a check.

Thanks!
    ~Rich

Thanks

OK, Ed! What's your secret?
    ~Rich

Thanks

As I've mentioned, no "secret" really. :-) A few thoughts:

Ask a lot of people, whether via phone, email, or in person. Friends, family, clients, co-workers, even friends of friends, etc... There are several types of people - some will give simply because YOU, insert name here, are asking - they like you, they will give (regardless of the cause). Others will like the Observatory, and will give as a result. Still others, are able to give, and will do so simply for the tax deduction.

By way of example, I have 75 people on my list, have asked 57 so far, and 23 have given so far. Others have agreed to give, but have done so yet - I have them marked for followup. I also have marked those who I have asked, but who have not responded, for followup. Only one person has actually said no, due to the economy. If someone has not come right out and said "no," be sure to follow up with them, in an appropriate, polite way.

When talking to people about contributing, remind them that when the economy is slow, non-profits like the Observatory are hit especially hard - in essence, if able, people should be giving more rather than less, to make up for the people who can't/won't give at all due to the economy. At least two of mine donors this year gave twice as much as last year, in part because of this strategy.

Don't limit yourself to people that you see on a regular basis - remember friends from high school and college, other cities and states that you may have lived in, your old home town, etc.

If you have spent time on Mount Washington, when you email someone, or if you see them in person, share some picture or stories with them. I have emailed most of my donors pictures from my volunteer weeks.

Even if you have not spent time on Mount Washington, other than STP, include links to the MWO website in your email - get your potential donors interested/involved. Maybe they have no idea about mountains, but they like cats - who knows. Perhaps a story about Marty will do it. Tell them about the cat "primary." (Marty) Perhaps something else will click with them.

Be sure to thank your donors, now, and after Seek the Peak, several months from now. After last year's event, I mailed a thank you card to each of my donors, it consisted of a picture of me at the summit, a general message of thanks, was personalized - i.e. Dear...., was signed by me, and hand addressed as well.

Hope this gives all of you some ideas/inspiration.
    Last edited by h2oeco; 03-03-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks

That's great info for everyone! Thanks! I think the thank you notes are essential! Keeps the donors coming back. I also have the STP logo and a link to my sponsor page in all my outgoing emails.
    ~Rich

Thanks

Great ideas on how to raise money Ed. They will definitely be useful. Thanks!
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Default STP Suggestion

While downloading a copy pledge page to collect offline pledges, I had a thought that it would be really cool to have a printable flyer that could be given to potential pledgers. It could be left with an individual to look over and have a spot at the bottom for his/her name and info. This would also leave the door open for follow up.

Any additional thoughts and do you think it would be beneficial?
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

I've thought about making a card like this - maybe 4 x 6 - to leave with people as a reminder/handout. Happily, a lot of my donations have taken place on the spot, so I haven't had to leave a reminder/followup card. And consequently, haven't made one up...

Ed