Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mount Pierce 2nd attempt

Thanks

Default Mount Pierce 2nd attempt

Well I decided to go for it again today seeing I got sick last attempt. I left at my usual 3:30 am and arrived at the trail head parking lot @ 7am same uneventful ride as before. I was the only one there and the temp. in truck read 14 degrees and snowing. I got geared up and by the time I was leaving another car pulled in.

Walking the .4 miles from the parking lot was pretty easy seeing the trail is packed down pretty good. I was just bare booting it for now. I took the left and started to head up the Crawford path and that seemed to be packed down pretty good also so just kept on bare booting it for now. When I arrived there was alot of clouds but the sky was breaking up and started turning blue. Yea to bad that did not stay long. I got past by a couple of guys that chated for a few minutes then took off.

As it started to get a little steeper I decided to put on the snow shoes mainly for traction. After a while I realized I was huffing and puffing so I thought what the hell is the matter I don't smoke don't drink and then it came to me next time I need to order a salad instead of a cheesburger and fries. If there was an award for the person that had to stop to catch thier breath the most I would win it. I definetly need to get into shape.

I was just below the Mizpah Cutoff and I heard a noise and low and behold here was the Grey Jays. Of course I had to take a break and give them a treat. I thought this was so cool.

Well I reached the cutoff and headed onto the summit. One gentleman came down and we talked a while and he said the summit was clouded in and windy but I pushed on No quitting for this fat man!!

I stopped just below the summit and put on another layer and yes of course it was clouded in but all the way up I kept asking myself "what the hell am I beating myself up for" well when I stood on the summit even thou no views I felt it was like being on another planet. then it came to me it was the gratifying feeling of getting to the top. I got there at 11:00 am. I stayed there a few minutes and started the decent.

The decent was pretty much uneventful except for feeding my new friends at the the cutoff (way cool). I did however find out that they might have crop circles down south or out west but here we have ice circles.

I thought this little twig was pretty cool

I arrived back at my truck at 12:45 and took off all the gear and headed out for the long boring ride home. all in all I had a terrific hike even thou a little exhausting I can't wait to start planning my next adventure.

you can see alot more pictures at this link.
    http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...2nd%20attempt/

Thanks

Chris -- YEA!!!! I'm so happy for you! Fantastic TR, and wonderful pictures!! I loved the gray-jay shots. Most excellent, congratulations.

Also, there's always huffing and puffing on the ascent. I huff and puff often. I go for a while, stand there for a couple of minutes catching my breath, then I go a bit farther, then I stand and catch my breath, etc. Sometimes that's just the way of it, it doesn't necessarily mean you're that much out of shape.

Congrats again, looking forward to your next TR!!

Thanks

Default Nice!

Way to go, Chris! great shots! Pierce was our first winter 4k as well. Great place to cut your teeth.

KDT

Thanks

Awesome job!! I love the pictures of the ice trees and the gray jays!! Absolutely gorgeous!! And of course your silly after shot made my day, thanks I needed that laugh
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

Thanks for sharing, really cool! Especially the gray jays!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Chris, how about submitting the Gray Jay eating out of your hand picture to the MWO Photo Journal? That is a great picture. Give it a try and see if they will accept it.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Thanks everbody. Getting out there was so nice and getting to feed the Grey Jays was an experince in it self.

Thanks Trish I am glad to hear I am not the only one that has to take breath catch up breaks.

Brad, I will try to submit the picture to the MWO Photo Journal and see what happens.
    Thanks
    I look forward to my next hike hopefully sooner than later.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Congrats Chris, great trip! Great pics! I would use the one of the little "star" tree in the snow as a Christmas card! The jay shot is awesome too!
    ~Rich

Thanks

Thumbs up Pierce Success

Enjoyed your trip report and excellent pictures. Glad to see you made it to the summit. Hey, we all huff and puff on trails with a substantial elevation gain. Next time try one of our methods: take 50 steps then take a little breather......repeat....
    little d

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Chris, how about submitting the Gray Jay eating out of your hand picture to the MWO Photo Journal? That is a great picture. Give it a try and see if they will accept it.
    Do you know if they let you know if they will use one of your pictures in the MWO photo journal?