Thread: Summer Traverse

Thanks

Default Summer Traverse

Hey,
    Me and some friends are planning a Presi Traverse in late June or July. We are all experianced backpackers and have hiked in the Whites several times. We're on a low budget and cannot stay in huts.
    Has anybody done this type of traverse? (I'm just curious the route you took)

We were looking at doing: Start At Dolly Copp>The Perch>Hermitt Lake>End At Highland Center.
    Do any of you guys see any potenial problems with this (aside from the usual potential weather threat above treeline)?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

How many days do you want to be up there? Depending on direction I like Perch to Neuman or Neuman to Osgood. There is the possible option of the Dungeon in between. I wouldn't go into Hermit Lakes unless I had to or wanted to lengthen my trip.

Thanks

We are flexible. I was planning 2 nights on the mountain, 3 days hiking. The group has done 15 mile days on rugged terrain. I was thinking we could just fight through down to the highland center, but i guess if we are super sacked we could stay the night a neuman.

Thanks

Three days and two nights is fine.

Traditionally most people start at Appalachia and hike to Crawford Notch or vice versa. Staying at Hermit Lake is a little out of the way. But, it's obviously much cheaper than staying at the AMC huts.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Traverse

I have friends that knock it off in a day. I think I could do it, but not sure I would want to. Very demanding. I'd be a wreck for a few days after. Here's a good resource:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/pr...-traverse.html

KDT