Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mt. Carrigain winter hike (camp?)

Thanks

Default Mt. Carrigain winter hike (camp?)

I have a long window of opportunity to select a good day(s) to do some hikes in the Whites. I've read that Carrigain has some spectacular views, but getting there is difficult. I even found one old TR that said the trail was very poorly marked. Can someone give me some feedback on whether a winter hike up Carrigain is currently well marked and if it would be a good idea to cut it into a 2 day trip?

Pictures, advice, ideas on alternatives all welcome. Thanks!

Thanks

Not Been...but Kevin is hiking it this weekend...

There is a tower at the top that you can sleep on...
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Default Carrigain

Corey, I don't know where you read that, but to my recollection the trail is well marked. In winter it's a 14 mile hike. The first 2 miles along the Sawyer River Rd. are easy. On the way out it's easier because it's downhill.

Remember this: if the first brook crossing is questionable on the Signal Ridge Trail, retrace your steps to the road, cross the brook on the bridge, then bushwhack the 1/4 mile or so along the west bank of the brook until you reach the trail again.

The snow is deep now, but hopefully the whole trip will be packed out by this weekend, though more snow is predicted for Sunday. When are you planning this trip?

Camping on the tower is an option, but I'm sure the wind would make it extremely noisy. I wouldn't think of attempting this without a winter tent and a minus 20 bag and a stove. There are excellent places to camp just west of the trail about a 1/4 mile below the summit.

The summit views are spectacular. One of my favorites in the Whites. Better than many because you can stand on the tower and take in all 360 unobstructed without moving around much. The view across Carrigain Notch to Mount Lowell's cliffs is worth the trip in itself.

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimS View Post
    Not Been...but Kevin is hiking it this weekend...

There is a tower at the top that you can sleep on...
    I would be interested in hearing about the trip. As well as any tips on an overnight if that is what he is doing. I will be going based on weather reports where I can be fairly certain to get one out of two days in the clear.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    Corey, I don't know where you read that, but to my recollection the trail is well marked. In winter it's a 14 mile hike. When are you planning this trip?

I wouldn't think of attempting this without a winter tent and a minus 20 bag and a stove. There are excellent places to camp just west of the trail about a 1/4 mile below the summit.
    KDT .. Thank you.

It was an old report. I did a search for "carrigain winter summit" and read a lot of reports. One spoke about confusion over an old logging trail. I think it was dated 2004 so its probably been resolved.

The 14 is why I was asking about an overnight. I'd rather do 7 & 7, espcially if I have to go through snow. ;-) I do have snowshoes, double boots, and hope to own some crampons soon.

The plan is to wait until I have a great day or two very good ones. I have about a 3 week timeframe where I will be up north (this weekend thru near EOM). So, I'll be watching the weather.

I really appreciate the tip on the bag as I was thinking of using a Phantom which is only a 0 (could I still do that if I kept a layer or two on?). I don't own a winter tent - but may rent one from EMS or IME. If I did buy, does anyone have experience or opinions on the Sierra Designs Assailant 1?

I would probably try to camp at your suggested location below summit. Could a 3-season work there if dug down into the snow and was located in the trees? Is the primary tent concern wind?

Thanks

Not sure about all of the outer trails but everything surrounding the lodge to the summits of both Cardigan and Firescrew are very well marked. We avoided going over the top when we were there in January due to lack of appropriate traction but the views from the ledges below both summits are awesome. I'm sure it would have been even better from the top. My TR from the January trip is here: http://www.mountwashington.org/forum...ead.php?t=4500

However you decide to hike it I'm sure you'll have a great time.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

If you have not noticed

1. Corey is going north again

2. Corey is hitching a ride again with Brad

3. Corey has a "3 week opportunity" to go play in the snow.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Default Carrigain, again

1) Hey Mark! Check your reading glasses. He wants to do Carrigain, not Cardigan!

2) I want to add to my last post. Finding one's way in winter can always be troublesome on an unbroken trail. The snow covered trees can hide blazes and sometimes the snow is so deep the blazes are at ankle level or below the snow. When the snow is that deep you are walking through tree branches which are normally overhead. It may seem like you are off trail, which you could easily be.

3) One of the best things to do is watch the trail conditions at VFTT so that you know if the trail is broken or not.

4) What is essential in a winter tent is ventilation. Humidity needs to escape or it will soak the tent and everything in it. Then, when the humidity maker, you, gets out, it will flash freeze making it impossible to re-pack. I wouldn't camp in anything but a winter tent. I also wouldn't take equipment I wasn't familiar with on a winter overnight. I would purchase one, (or rent one) and set it up in Brad's back yard and sleep in it so I was familiar with it's set up and breakdown and what to expect from it in general. 7 miles from my car in sub zero temps is no place to be getting familiar with new equipment.

5) I would not go with anything less than a -20 bag. Others may have more insight than me.

KDT

Thanks

The Sierra Designs Assailant 1 is one person assault style tent. Personally I was not impressed. It is highly breathable but bulky, weighs 3 1/2 pounds and you cant sit up. At that price point and style I prefer a winter bivy or a tent like the One Shot by Black Diamond. It's tech a 3+ season tent but will handle anything short of a lot of wet snow. As for a zero Phantom, you should be fine with a layer on. Everyone is different, but zero bags are the norm for even Himal treks as long as you are in a tent or bivy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    1) Hey Mark! Check your reading glasses. He wants to do Carrigain, not Cardigan!
    KDT
    Wow, my eyes are worse than I thought.

Seemed strange that there would have been comments about poorly marked trails. I think the discussion of the tower is what kept me off track. Now why did they have to go putting those on two mountains with such similar names...

At any rate, I'm jealous of Corey's potential exploits during his extended (according to Brad) northern stay...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page