Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mt. Carrigain winter hike (camp?)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    If you have not noticed

1. Corey is going north again

2. Corey is hitching a ride again with Brad

3. Corey has a "3 week opportunity" to go play in the snow.

4. We're gonna blow right through VA hope BlueDog doesn't catch us.
    Brad's 'original' post ^^^^

Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Cardigan? No, it's a pullover, but thanks for noticing.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtruman View Post
    Wow, my eyes are worse than I thought.

Now why did they have to go putting those on two mountains with such similar names...
    While these two mountains are close in name, think about all the duplicate mountains we have in this state. Whitefaces, owls heads, kearsarges, and a whole range of Wildcats. A Black Cap, a Black Snout, a Black Snoot, and a few Black Mountains. A Big Ball Mountain, a Little Ball Mountain. A Ragged you can ski and hike, another you can only hike, and another you can shop at!

Really, there just need to be more names in this world!
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

I have the Assailant 1 which I have used for many overnights high in the Whites. I have been very happy with it. It is heavier than a bivy but is excellent protection and affords a little more room than a Bivy. I also have two footprints. One for under and one I put mirrored to act as a porch and pack cover Works great. As for the sleeping bag. I would go with at least a -20 synthetic. The Whites are humid even in the cold and it will stay insulated even with moisture. The extra -20 degres will make it feel like down but will be more reliable.

Thanks

One can not believe everything they read on the Internet - especially in this thread from BlueDog. My words seems to have been altered - as we raced by northern VA. Our timing got us to Hartford for Friday evening rush hour with rain starting. I-84 was stopped as was I-91 north. So, not knowing what I-495 would be like, we headed north and went east across NH on route 4. Roads were fine but it was a long day even without a stop to put BlueDog on the roof.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Default Corey...

After yesterday's hike I've been thinking about this more. I don't know what your backpacking experience is. I know you're young and strong. I've done 7 mile backpacks. They hurt. We did Isolation a few years ago. No where near as much elevation gain. Carrigain is 3800', most of it coming in the last 2 miles. I know I wouldn't enjoy packing up this. Maybe camping below would be a better option, then summit in the morning? Whatever you do, good luck and enjoy!

KDT

Thanks

As of now, its on hold. I needed my tax refund to arrive so I could purchase a good bag, tent, and crampons and it has been delayed (I think the Fed's are receiving a larger then normal early electronic filing season due to our current economic woes - and they can't keep up). I may do a day hike up Madison (Valley Way to hut to Osgood) in the meantime.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm not sure I qualify as young or strong. ;-) I know I can do a 5 mile hike with a big pack .. I'm pretty sure I can add the 2 miles of flat. But, I'm positive I cannot do 14 with the big pack. It looks like a great adventure (I enjoyed the pics and TR)- I may have to miss out if I can't buy the proper gear. But, I suppose she'll still be there next winter .. they usually stick around don't they?

Thanks again to everyone for all the input on gear and the mountain. I promise to put it to good use ASAP.