Thread: Hedgehog 2/21/09

Thanks

Default Hedgehog 2/21/09

Our winter vacation began with our first time hike to Mount Hedgehog which is located off the Kancamagus Highway. The temperature at the beginning was 15 degrees at our starting time of 10:00am.
    The trailhead can be found down a short road opposite the Passaconaway Campground.

We took the Downes Brook Trail .2 miles to the junction of the UNH trail.

Following the loop clockwise to the East Ledges we encountered moderate grades and an unbroken trail.

At our first viewpoint a fellow hiker named Ebenezer approached from the rear, thanking us for breaking the trail and offering to go ahead of us to return the favor.

Around 11:30am we reached the East ledges where we saw Mount Chocoura off in the distance.
    The view was hazy, but sunny.

Following the trail broken out by Ebenezer, we continued crossing open ledges with views.

A short time later we were met by a lady with her dog named Ginger. She asked if it was OK to hike with us since she didn't want to put on her wooden snow shoes.

Kathy who was from Maine had just bought the "jacket" for Ginger who felt it uncomfortable and would find anything or anybody to scratch herself on, including between Little d's legs.

Kathy offered to take our picture with Chocorua in the background.

From this spot we also could see Mount Passaconaway.

Continuing on we could see another set of ledges.

The trail looped around via switchbacks where we encountered drifts several feet high.

Finally reaching the upper ledges and the summit of Mount Hedgehog, we could see the path we had just taken below as well as commanding views of Chocorua.

Continuing on we eventually reached Allen's ledge, where we could see a broken trail in the valley with Bear Mountain in the distance. Also, we could see additional views of Mount Chocorua.

In all it took us four and a half leisurely hours to complete our first snowshoe hike of the season.
    Last edited by Jimmy Legs and Little d; 03-01-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks

Gorgeous pictures!

I'm sorry we never got to connect last week. I am glad, however, that you got to do some great hikes and meet a whole slew of others.

Man, was there ever snow last week! And more on the way...

Thanks

Great T/R and nice pictures. Boy! it looks like everybody had a fantastic hiking weekend. Thanks for sharing. I definetly need to find the time to get back up there.

Thanks

Great pics you two! Making me jealous.

You're missing 55-60 degree days back home. Though we did get 2 inches of snow this morning and there's threats of 5+ south of here tonight! Southern VA is gonna come to a screeching halt.

Enjoy the snow!
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Default Love Hedgehog!

Great TR and pics. Lotta bang for the buck on this hike!

KDT

Thanks

Awesome pics...man, I need some more winter hiking practice