Thread: A Short Hike On the Pemi Trail/Dave Bears' 48

Thanks

Default A Short Hike On the Pemi Trail/Dave Bears' 48; 2/22/09

We started our short, snowy hike on the Pemi Trail at the Lafayette campground parking lot at 9:30 am. For a second day in a row we had to "break" trail. It was snowing as we started and in a short time we crossed over a log bridge on our way to Profile lake.

Along the trail we saw odd formations in the Pemigewasset river made by the recent snowfall.

I saw this branch silhouetted against the undisturbed snow and it reminded me of a negative image of a lighting bolt.

As we neared the outlet of Profile lake the trail crossed over several log bridges.

Shortly after passing over the logs we lost the trail. The view, although a bit dreary, was quite picturesque.

We were now across the stream from the parking area below the former site of the Old Man of the Mountain.

Trudging through the snow worked up an appetite and we were lucky to have a whoopie pie with us from the Sunny Day Diner.

The hike back was much easier since their was a group of 4 hikers behind us. We finished our 2.6 mile round trip hike at 11:30 am.

After our little hike we rode the tram to the top of Cannon mountain to celebrate DaveBears' completion of his 48th 4,000 footer on his 48th birthday.
    Dave arrived at the cafeteria at 1 pm. to the applause of his fellow VFTTers. Right behind Dave was BobC.

Believe it or not Dave hauled a grille to the top in his pack to cook some steaks and chicken.

We met many fine members of Views From The Top, who helped celebrate Daves' accomplishment. We rode the tram back down in the snowstorm and later went to the Common Man in Lincoln to have dinner.
    Last edited by Jimmy Legs and Little d; 03-01-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks

Default Nice!

What, no Fluffernutters? Well, I guess Whoopie Pies are a close second. Power Food!

Had to miss Dave's 48th with the impending storm. Didn't want to drive in it. Had enough of that this winter. We have 12-15 inches predicted for our area starting any time now. Will drive to work 22 miles in it, shovel it all day, then drive home in it. As much as I love snow...

Glad you got to celebrate with Dave and meet some folks. I'll see him at Beer Night in ManchVegas Tuesday and celebrate then!

KDT

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    Had to miss Dave's 48th with the impending storm. Didn't want to drive in it. Had enough of that this winter.
    KDT
    Same here -- I'm glad you got to go and enjoyed the party. Great pictures, looks like a really nice hike.

Thanks

Smile Where's the Fluffernutters?

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    What, no Fluffernutters? Well, I guess Whoopie Pies are a close second. Power Food!

KDT
    Kevin
    No Fluffernutters on this hike (even though we brought what we needed to make them). But we could have had Fluffernutter Pancakes at Flapjacks in Lincoln the next day. They were the "special" of the day.
    little d