Thread: A Hike to Mt. Pierce 2/26/09

Thanks

Default A Hike to Mt. Pierce 2/26/09

Mount Pierce was not our first choice for our final hike of our winter vacation.
    The Davis Path leading up to Mount Crawford was not broken out and I don't think we fully recovered from our grueling hike to Mt. Avalon to breakout another long trail.

We hadn't done Pierce in a long time and thought it to be a leisurely hike.
    We started hiking at 11:30 on a nicely packed trail with tree branches covered in snow. This one I thought particularly attractive.

The forest was especially beautiful.

For some reason JL was becoming fatigued and it seemed to take forever to reach the junction with the Mizpah Hut cutoff. Maybe we were overdressed and needed to ventilate as well as eat and drink something since we hadn't had anything to eat or drink since our 8 am breakfast.
    Eventually we reached the cutoff where in no time the Gray jays appeared.

We soon found ourselves feed them some of our organic pop tarts.

With a 15 minute break, something to eat and some fluids, plus the fact we had a landmark with which to judge our position we continued on with determination to reach the summit.
    With the increasing temperatures and intermitted sunshine one had to dodge the bundles of snow and pellets of ice falling from the trees.
    Here's one of the flocked trees just below the summit.

We reached the junction of the Crawford Path and the Webster Cliff trail at 2:30

The summit was breezy with intermitent sunshine and clouds with views coming in and out of the cloud cover.

Once again we saw our little friends.

And naturally we had to feed them.

We remained on the summit about 40 minutes hoping for the skies to clear; which they never did.
    On our way down we met an man also hiking Pierce.

One last picture before heading back into the trees.

[/CENTER]

Even though the summit has its views the forest has its own charm.

[CENTER]

Nearing the end of our last hike I noticed this snow covered tree that reminded me of a cane.

Well that's it until the fall as far hiking in the White Mountains.
    We enjoyed sharing our adventures with everyone on the Mount Washington Forums.
    See you in the Fall.

Jimmy Legs and Little d
    aka. Mike and Donna

Thanks

Wow, what a vacation! You did a lot and had great weather and mostly great trails. I want to do Pierce! Ta heck with the summit.i want to feed the birds.

Thanks for sharing your adventures with us all.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

I love the shots in the woods. Landscapes can be a little over done so its great to see what the snow covered trails look like in the trees.

In that last shot is there anything supporting the snow or did it just sag?
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Question Snow Covered Tree

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
    I love the shots in the woods. Landscapes can be a little over done so its great to see what the snow covered trails look like in the trees.

In that last shot is there anything supporting the snow or did it just sag?
    Thanks, Bill
    The tree was 40 yards off the trail so we're not sure what was under the snow. The snow appeared to be just hanging.
    little d

Thanks

Nice TR and pictures -- yes, that one of the "cane" is certainly unique, very cool.

Thanks

Default Awesome Vaykay!

Finally had a chance to check out your TRs and pictures. Looks like you had a great vacation! Always fun to do lots of stuff. Sounds like you ate very well, too!

KDT

Thanks

Thanks Mike and Donna for sharing your adventures with us. I did Pierce a few weeks ago and I also got to feed three Grey Jays. Even if I did not make it to the summit I was happy for just being able to feed them from my hand. I did make the summit but it was not like your day just all clouds. But hey I summited thats all that counts. Looking forward to reading your t/r this fall.