Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ready for MW?

Thanks

B.--Just noticed your Latin signature. Here's something from Marcus Aurelius, one of my favorite philosophers. It might apply to preparing for a climb of Mt. Washington:

"Numquam te futura perturbent. Ea enim, si opus erit, adibis eadem ratione praeditus, qua nunc ad praesentia uteris."

Thanks

This makes me think- What is the ideal body type for climbing from what I can tell from the guys who make a living at it, they are not much different then cyclist. Im guessing 5,7 - 5'9 140?

Thanks

My guess is the answer is different when one starts climbing and after one has been doing it for a while. I find it is an excellent workout. So, where ever you start out for weight, doing it a lot will bring it down or keep it low.

I wish I could get a good hike in every 2-3 weeks. That day will come.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Well, I don't speak Latin and know very little of it, mostly scientific. I'm having enough trouble just trying to improve my Russian. I just remember that quote from a long time back and thought it'd be good for someone who climbs solo, although the original quote is referring to highest authority rather than literal height, it still fits. Yours is interesting as well, not quite as catchy, though.

Whatever the best body type is, mine is definitely not it at 6'4" 280#. I'd imagine that conditioning is much more important than size, though. If you're used to walking long distances, carrying a lot of equipment, etc, you'll be a better climber and have an easier time at it. For example, someone the same size as me who just completed military training (yeah, they do exist, few and far between though) with long marches carrying a lot of gear, would find any climb much easier than I would. I'd imagine that the differences become magnified with age, though.
    Summa sedes non capit duos

Thanks

As Always, thank you all for your feedback. Brad... Strong work on the trail graffics thank you. Also the TR# 190 Mt Mitchell trail from Black Mountain Camp Ground is the trail I use on Mithchell. I will be doing the REI up and back climb and not the overnight Obs trip. This includes a day in the Whites working on Ax skills, as well as other tasks and learning. They will also go over our gear with us and help make judgements on what we will be taking. Learning skills and gaining from the experience of the guides is the reason I sighned up for this trip. Just as a way of stats I am 50 yrs 5'8" and 142lbs. I am really looking forward to my MW trip and all I can learn from it. This forum, and the people on it, have been a great help and inspiration. Thank you all.

Thanks

That REI clinic sounds really good. It would scare my wife into thinking I would want to get into more than "hiking".
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

I understand that. My girlfriend and friends dont really understand either. This trip was planned to not only for the experience of a beautiful place and mountain, but as a learning ground to see if I want to continue onto Ranier, Hood, and maybe Denali... Longs Peak CO looks interesting too. But I think MW should let me know if continuing is something I want to do in reality and not just in my mind.

Thanks

More or less the same thing I thought, that Washington is a good way to get your feet wet and see if you'd enjoy climbing the bigger ones. Trying a winter climb on Denali is out of the question for me for quite a long time, I know I'd have lottery odds against coming back from that one alive without a lot of experience first. But I'd definitely try my luck at the others after I manage Washington, since having been there allowed me to confirm that this is something I'd want to do more of. Best of luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b1029384756 View Post
    More or less the same thing I thought, that Washington is a good way to get your feet wet and see if you'd enjoy climbing the bigger ones. Trying a winter climb on Denali is out of the question for me for quite a long time, I know I'd have lottery odds against coming back from that one alive without a lot of experience first. But I'd definitely try my luck at the others after I manage Washington, since having been there allowed me to confirm that this is something I'd want to do more of. Best of luck.
    A winter climb of Denali? Only like 5 people have ever done that. But don't worry, it feels like winter in May, June and July.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Hmm...I was sure that a lot more than that have done it, maybe not though. Or did you mean only 5 solo climbers? I wouldn't try it during any time of the year in the foreseeable future, though. I'm not in shape enough to be able to maintain that level of exertion for weeks on end and of course don't have the needed skills. I'm often willing to take questionable risks but I still know what my limits are.