Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time girl

Thanks

Default First time girl

Hey everyone, I'm a first time forum, first time hiker. Take it easy on me now....
    I've been reading everyones accomplishments and BOY! I really like the way you all look out for one another. Your hikes and your pictures have been terrific. I know it's not without alot of work and preparation.
    I'd like to hike the Ammonoosuc trail to the Crawford Path, then to the summit...
    Yes, I know everyone says their fit and ready and yes I'm going to say the same thing...but what you've all taught me is to be safe and listen to my body. Oh and pay attention to the weather too. If I don't make it to the summit for whatever reason it will still be there the next time...
    I'd like to go in June, or July. I wouldn't be going alone, that'll be silly...
    Is June or July better? I thought coming in from the west side would be less crowded, and I'd get there more gradually.
    Thanks for your input.

Thanks

Go in June then go back in July if you don't make it the first time.

You may run into some snow patches in early June, but nothing serious. Patches that can be easily negotiated with regular shoes. Unless of course they get a lot of late season snow.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default mw

Welcome - a more gradual(although a slightly longer trail) from the west would be the Jewell trail. I did that trail with my youngest son who was 9 at the time.
    Good luck
    Tim

Thanks

Welcome. I like to take first timers on the west side. It is a lot more gradual. Normally I do Ammo up and Jewell down. If you can get a reservation at Lakes of the Clouds hut - go up to the hut on Ammo, stay the night and hope for a sunset and/or sunrise, then summit the next day and down the Jewell. That is a very special way of doing the trip first time and mid June thru July is a great time to do it.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Thanks

Welcome memills! One thing I will caution you about in advance....Once you have hiked this mountain you will be hooked for life. I haven't met anyone who hasn't. Have fun and be safe!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Thumbs up

I (hopefully the family) will be going up Ammo on July 25 leaving the trial head around 7. Come on up!
    ~Rich

Thanks

Yes indeed, welcome to the forums! Will you have the opportunity to hike anything else in the Whites before Mt Washington, kinda like a warm-up?
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

Any suggestions for a warm-up hike?

Thanks

Thanks Steve M,
    It seems that all of you have been hiking and loving it forever....I'm soooo excited to go. Especially after seeing the pictures posted and hearing(reading)everyones stories...I can't wait...Oh! I've read the black flies could be bad in June. Is that true?