Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time girl

Thanks

You can find a great variety of 4,000ftrs in the Whites that can get you started, if you want to shoot for them. Mt Tom, Mt Hale, Mt Waumbek, topography wise they won't match Big W but they can get you use to ramblin' in the woods and get you some trail feet.
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

welcome you should come up july 25 ,there will be a lot of people to hike with . look at SEEK THE PEEK .
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

You might also enjoy Mt Jackson and Mt Eisenhower via the Edmands Path on a nice day. It has a deal of exposure but will give you a taste of treeline in good weather. Nice views too!
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

Black flies can be bad in June - yes. That is mainly why I mentioned mid-June and later.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Default What Brad said

They're real bad in June, still around in July. I love hiking in September and October when they're gone! Welcome to the board. If you're really serious about hiking in New Hampshire's mountains, get this book. It's the White Mountain Hiker's bible:

http://www.mountwashington.org/store...products_id=28

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    welcome you should come up july 25 ,there will be a lot of people to hike with . look at SEEK THE PEEK .
    Welcome memills. Yes, you should come do STP. What a great way to hike up the mountain with some of those who know it well.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Miser View Post
    Welcome memills. Yes, you should come do STP. What a great way to hike up the mountain with some of those who know it well.
    and you dont even have to know them , i meet up with Brad and Corey in the morning for the first time ever other then talking on this site . we had a lot of talking and even got to meet up with others for the first time that we talk to on this site
    so join us
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Default flies

We're up there every year from late June into early July and never really had a problem with the black flies.
    ~Rich

Thanks

Smile New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    Welcome memills! One thing I will caution you about in advance....Once you have hiked this mountain you will be hooked for life. I haven't met anyone who hasn't. Have fun and be safe!
    Memills
    Welcome to the Forum. I think Steve hit it right on the nose! That's what happened to us years ago. Another suggestion would be to purchase the White Mountain Guide for trail information. Do watch out for the black flies; they can be nasty!
    little d

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Legs and Little d View Post
    Memills
    Welcome to the Forum. I think Steve hit it right on the nose! That's what happened to us years ago. Another suggestion would be to purchase the White Mountain Guide for trail information. Do watch out for the black flies; they can be nasty!
    little d
    The Black flies got me good last year in July. They seem to bite me on the back of my neck, right at my shirt line and some on my legs.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???