Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any sign of Winter in the near future?

Thanks

Default Any sign of Winter in the near future?

I live 1.5hr NW of NYC.

Rain is on its way, and its supposed to be around 63 degrees tomorrow.

Yesterday I was comfortable in a T-shirt.

My thermometer read 47 degrees this morning at 7am.

Ive heard some reports recently that this is the first time in 111 years NYC has had no snow in November and December.

Flowers are blooming in NJ.

Etc, etc.

I haven't been able to catch much lately on The Weather Channel or local news regarding this record warmth in the Northeast. All I can see is their 10 day outlook, which shows more rain and temps in the 40s and 50s. I assume you guys have better access and "inside" information regarding forecasting and can shed some light on any potential changes coming our way in the forseeable future? Is it possible (read: likely) this will continue for the rest of the season and would it indicate a possible record setting Summer as well?

Thanks,

Ryan

Thanks

I consider that to be dream land and the forecasts for that time frame have all been wrong this winter. The big problem when you have record warmth is that the models always want to return things to normal at the end of their forecast period. It happened all last winter, and its happening again.

It's unlikely that a warm winter will translate into a hot summer. The forces at play here are totally different. Everyone thinks last summer was hot, but I only recored 6 days above 90.

Buds are getting very green in Connecticut. We might see some leaves if the sun pops out today or tomorrow.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

A Maple syrup producer in Waterville, VT has made over 1000 gallons already this season---2 1/2 months before the taps used to go into the trees!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pete S
    A Maple syrup producer in Waterville, VT has made over 1000 gallons already this season---2 1/2 months before the taps used to go into the trees!
    That's crazy.

Pete...do you recall any winters like this in the past? There has to be some, they just seem to get forgotten.

I remember back in the 90's when the ski areas lost all there snow in a January thaw. Not sure, what year maybe 94 or 95.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

But if I remember correctly they had an extremely good Dec. ski season that year for skiing. This is the first time I remember ski resorts closing down. I can't remember ever not having any snow thru Jan. For skiers like myself this is horrible!!!!!!!!! When was the last time people in the northeast were in shorts in Jan. (OUTSIDE) Please mother nature smile upon us with cold weather and snow.

Thanks

weather is changing not only here, Dehli was around 32 degrees today, this is a place where they never need insulation.

I CA last year it rained 9 months of the year, and the west this year it snowed with accumulation in Vegas in Nov. and don't forget about Seattle where it has snowed at least 2 times this year, it snows very rarely in Seattle to the point that they do not have trucks for treating the roads.

Weather patterns are locked in place, hence the extremes in high's, low's and precipitation in different area's of the Country and world

Thanks

low 60s at 7am!! crazy

Thanks

60 in coastal CT, and 180 miles to the north at my place in VT its 58.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

I agree, things are going to change in the next week and a half, at least back to normal. Finally the JetStream with push the colder air south 63.1 at 9:45 here in Lowell (right on the NH border)

Thanks

72F and sunny. Lots of fair weather cumulus.
    Bill
    EasternLight