Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seek the Peak Fundraising and Participation

Thanks

Default Seek the Peak Fundraising and Participation

Many of you here probably read Cara's recent email or saw Scot's video, both under the heading "Storm Clouds on the Horizon." Obviously, when the economy slows down, everyone suffers, but non-profit organizations are hit the hardest. When money becomes tight, one of the first things that gets cut off are charitable donations.

As a result, Seek the Peak is even more important than ever this year. It is the Observatory's largest annual fundraiser, and if we all make our best effort, it can make a huge difference to the Observatory in a bad year.

To that end...

Sign up up for Seek the Peak! If you haven't already signed up, please do! Then start raising money! The event is a lot of fun - great people, great prizes, and of great benefit to the Observatory - and in turn, costs you very little out of your own pocket. There is no entry fee - raise $100 - then you just have to get yourself there, and hike.

If you have signed up already, why are you here reading the forums instead of out raising money for the Observatory? :-) Ask everyone you know - friends, family, clients, co-workers, businesses that you frequent, etc. - the worst that they can do is say no!

$100 = 10 $10 donations. $100 will get you in the door! Try asking 10 people/places - parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, your favorite bar/restaurant/coffee shop, the local hardware store or general store where you've shopped your entire life, even your boss, and so on.

By way of example, I asked the owner of an online business that sells flashlights, headlamps, etc. to contribute - in my email, I explained that a number of things I have bought from him are gear that I use when I volunteer at the Mount Washington Observatory - and received a $50 donation - I have never met this person or spoken to him on the phone - and yet he contributed. It can be done!

If you are uncomfortable with fundraising, but still want to participate, simply sign up anyway, and donate $100 of your own.

If you are unable to participate in this year's event, considering supporting someone who is. If you read these forums, it is likely that you "know" many of the people who have already signed up for Seek the Peak - pick one, and make a contribution. It all goes to the observatory, and it is all tax deductible.

To sign up: http://www.seekthepeak.org/register.php

To support a hiker: http://www.seekthepeak.org/hikers.php?o=rd

I raised a lot of money for the Observatory last year, and am off to a good start this year. If you have any fundraising questions, feel free to ask me, either by posting here, or by sending me a private message.

Ed O'Malley

Summit Volunteer
    Last edited by h2oeco; 04-09-2009 at 08:16 AM.

Thanks

Great post Ed!

As Ed mentions, I'm one of those people that's a little uncomfortable about going around asking for money. However, I'll let folks in on an idea that netted me at least $1200 in donations last year.

I'm an active member of a car club that has two track events a year at local road courses. At one event, I spent some time going to several spots around the track and took pictures. After the event I cleaned up the photos and posted them on our club website and then offered the hi-res versions in exchange for a donation to support my StP campaign.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Great suggestions Ed. There are many ways of fund raising that I'm sure that most people wouldn't think of. Your example of soliciting the donation from the online merchant is a really good one. You're right too - the best way to do it is just get started, and then keep at it. It would be good to hear more of any unique methods that people are using in their fundraising efforts. Post them in this thread so that others can take advantage of them. Hopefully there will be more ideas being shared with everyone in the upcoming webcast as well.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Thanks for the reminder! I just emailed my family and got 50 bucks for me and my boyfriend already

You might also look into mini-grants. I've gotten one in the past from Harvard Pilgrim and it was for $500 so that is a great easy way to get money raised.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h2oeco View Post
    ... If you are unable to participate in this year's event, consider supporting someone who is. If you read these forums, it is likely that you "know" many of the people who have already signed up for Seek the Peak - pick one, and make a contribution. It all goes to the observatory, and it is all tax deductible. ....
    Excellent idea for the many readers here.
    Gene .. just one more Swamp Yankee from RI.

Thanks

Another idea to consider... When I returned from my recent volunteer week, I emailed a link to my pictures to about 70 people - one of them just responded, apologized for not giving last year, and then proceeded to donate $100. If you have pictures from last year's Seek the Peak, or any other MW/MWO related event, be sure to include a link to them if you are contacting your donors via email. If you only have a single picture of yourself, perhaps on the summit or the like, and don't have any sort of online gallery, consider attaching that to your fundraising email. People like to see what you're up to and what they're contributing to...

Ed

Thanks

As of this morning, the top Seek the Peak fundraisers are:

• ecomalley (Edwin O'Malley) $2895
    • StephenSargent (Stephen Sargent) $1300
    • BlueDog (Erich Rainville) $925
    • BradBradstreet (Brad Bradstreet) $595

For the rest of you - get cracking on your fundraising, sign up and hike, or send in your money to those who are hiking!

:-)

Remember that small donations add up - 20 $5 donations is all it takes to reach $100. I suspect that many of the people in your lives could spare $5.00...

Remember that the Observatory's fiscal year ends on April 30th - if you are considering donating, DONATING NOW rather than later will help their year-end numbers.

Click here to support a hiker of your choice...

The same goes for membership too - if you have considered joining, but just haven't gotten around to it, please join now.

Thanks.

Ed

Thanks

? ecomalley (Edwin O'Malley) $2895
    ? StephenSargent (Stephen Sargent) $1300
    ? BlueDog (Erich Rainville) $925
    ? BradBradstreet (Brad Bradstreet) $595

For the rest of you - get cracking on your fundraising, sign up and hike, or send in your money to those who are hiking!
    Thanks for the nudge to everyone Ed (and congrats to the top fund raisers). My fundraising email just went our to 235 of "my closest friends". Hope the donations start rolling in. Can't wait to see everyone on top on 7/25...
    Mark

Thanks

? ecomalley (Edwin O'Malley) $2895
    ? StephenSargent (Stephen Sargent) $1300
    ? BlueDog (Erich Rainville) $925
    ? BradBradstreet (Brad Bradstreet) $595
    I wanna know who Ed, Erich, and Stephen are robbing to get these huge donations!! LOL Give me a clue how you are doing this PLEASE!!
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

Default Just Do It!!!

After a month of procrastination I finally got my STP pledge emails out yesterday. $400 of pledges in on the first day and more promised. (Hmmm, that's 40% of a fleece ). Sometimes all you have to do is ask! Let's all get to it and make this another record breaking year!
    Mark