Thread: A Credo for Mountain Photographers

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default A Credo for Mountain Photographers

I started reading Galen Rowell's "Mountain Light" this week (awesome book). In the preface he presents "A Credo for Mountain Photographers" from Cedric Wright who was an author, photographer and best friend of Ansel Adams. In light of the upcoming photography show by Jim and Patrick I thought I'd share it here. I think that all of us who have seen their images (and the images of a number of the other very talented photographers here) will feel the connection.

The mountain photographer is interpreting the face of nature - that mysterious infinity, eternally a refuge, a reservoir, an amplifier of spirit; a mother of dreams; a positive though elusive voice in whose depth lies its subtlety. They will interpret best who are never so content as when under the influence of situations where silence is rich in the mute assurance and beauty of mountain surroundings. The quality of emotional knowing has a finer integration with our spirit than anything that comes from barren intellectual processes. This point of view only accumulates slowly, out of long experience and contact with wordless influences. Under the spell of solitude and of natural beauty the root system of this kind of awareness establishes itself. Great art is usually created under some such saturation of awareness. The work is then permeated with an inner perception of beauty and an inner personal philosophy. The hope for our photography is that it shall retain these high lights of more than beauty, that through it symbols shall be preserved of response to our mountains, keeping them to a flow, a golden thread, in our experience.

Cedric Wright, 1941
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

I like that, very nice
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

That is really nice and perfect for them. I know that I come to this site and look forward to when they post their photo's. It takes me away even it it's only for a few moments.

I wish so badly that I could make it up on the 16th, but I already had previous plans.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtruman View Post
    I started reading Galen Rowell's "Mountain Light" this week (awesome book). In the preface he presents "A Credo for Mountain Photographers" from Cedric Wright who was an author, photographer and best friend of Ansel Adams. In light of the upcoming photography show by Jim and Patrick I thought I'd share it here. I think that all of us who have seen their images (and the images of a number of the other very talented photographers here) will feel the connection.

um...what he said

Seriously, that just made my morning. That just brought me to a few past moments out there in the forest. Thanks for posting.

happy trails
    nature photography of the White Mountains
    by Patrick LaFreniere
    new site: www.pbase.com/myworld

Thanks

Very nicely stated. I was thinking of Patrick yesterday afternoon - when on a beach - moving closer and closer to a bird - wait - shoot - move closer - shoot. This quote is really good.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

A very passionate statement!
    TRJ Photography
    Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum Staff Photographer
    Canon Professional Services
    Are you a photographer in the Northeastern USA? Click here for www.Northeastfoto.com