Thread: 1st Flower Hike Mount Tecumseh 4/25/09

Thanks

Default 1st Flower Hike Mount Tecumseh 4/25/09

Franconia Ridge from the Sosman Trail

Mount Tecumseh 4003'

Mount Tecumseh Trail, Sosman Trail, Ski Trails

6.6 Miles 2300' Elevation gain

Kevin, Judy and Emma

We've been enjoying the spring hiking so wanted to go again this weekend. If there has to be a reason or a list then I guess you could say we "needed" Tecumseh for our "spring list". I was out to clear my head, not hike a list. I hadn't been to Tecumseh since a winter hike in February of '06 and felt it was time to catch up with an old friend.

I was somewhat surprised that we started out on dry ground. I expected there to be some monorail left even at the lower levels, but we didn't hit any snow until well after the second brook crossing. After the second crossing there was a good stretch of trail that was lined with wildflowers, the first I have seen this year. We came across some leafy Trillium still unfolding. I'm sure the 70 plus degree day helped them along quite a bit. There were also some Spring Beauty, Yellow Violets and quite a few Trout Lilys. Over the next week many more should be opening up.

Trout Lily Erythronium americanum

Emma was happy to find the snow and by the third brook crossing we were on it to the summit. The snow helped keep her cooled down on such a warm day. We wore microspikes for most of the rest of the trip with great success, though we saw many others on the way up with no traction. They eye-balled our microspikes with "Gee, I wish I had a pair of those," expressions. With the warmth of the day the snow was softening up and we did some post-holing later on the Sosman Trail. The monorail was giving way to the heat.

On the summit the flies had woken up from their winters sleep and were swarming the exposed rocks. We were joined by some Boreal Chickadees and a Yellow-rumped Warbler. It's been said that Tecumseh isn't a "view" summit but I disagree. If you move around there are some great views, especially from the Sosman Trail. I was pleasantly surprised with the excellent views of Moosilauke, The Kinsman Range and Franconia Notch from the Sosman. Maybe my favorite view was the beyond the summit of Tecumseh to where the Presidentials lay nestled in between Osceola and East Osceola.

Presis to the North

The microspikes came off at the top of the ski trails and we boot skied down to where we could duck back into the woods and follow the trail back down. The snow pack was melting fast and water skis might have worked as well as snow skis. We saw some skinners coming up who I'm guessing had some good turns on the way back down. I found a cell phone that appears to have been buried in the snow for some time. Describe it and I'll return it! This was just enough for a hot day!

Pics here:

http://ghostflowers.smugmug.com/gall...20781336_xC5DP

KDT

Thanks

What an absolutely beautiful early spring hike! The flower shots are great - particularly the last Trout Lily. The long distance views to the snow covered Presidentials and Franconia Ridge are awesome. Of course above all you just have to love the wonderful sight and aroma of wet, muddy dogs in spring
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Super shots!

I don't recall seeing any flowers on our last hike.

Nice job!
    Doug

Charter Member of The J. Rayner Edmands Fan Club

Seek the Peak 2012: http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

Thanks

Beautiful pics, Kevin! I haven't seen anything like that (the trout lilies) yet this year.

The mountains are great this time of year, from a distance, aren't they? This is the only time of year that I can safely look from about Plymouth and say "That's Moosilauke" because it's the only one in the general direction with snow on it (both peaks).

Beautiful pictures!