Thread: were is the snow in the mount Washington area

Thanks

Default were is the snow in the mount Washington area

Hi all I am new here I live in the UK my wife has been reading all about the high temps in new Hampshire and lack of snow for the time of year and she is now panicking as we are visiting north Conway for two weeks in march hopefully to learn how to snowboard and now she is wanting to cancel I have tolled her there is time yet for it to snow I was just wondering if there is a good long rang forecast and if so what is the forecast for the next month or two in mount Washington area

Thanks

There are no long range forecasts for March that have any skill behind them.

The best thing I can tell you is that March is one of the snowiest months of the year, and snowpack typically peaks in early April. Climatology would indicate that there will be snow for you to ski in March. And as long as there is cold weather the ski areas will be able to make snow.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Does anyone know of a good website to view snowpack. I went to NOAA and it was fairly limited. I know there has to be a good site out there.

Thanks

Thanks

For the northeast you won't really find one. NOAA's product is the best. You may come across the occasional graphic on Accuweather.

In New England the idea of a snowpack is a bit of a stretch. The only true snowpack is confined to the mountains. Everything else is a crapshoot, just stringing along snowstorms between warm spells. Also, there is very little data because we don't depend on a snowpack for drinking water. In the west the snowpack is a reservoir that takes them through the dry summer. In the east it rains.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default No worries...

As a former ski industry guy, I can say that there's almost always snow in March. Seriously, it's going to get cold and it's going to snow in the coming weeks.

Even if natural snow is slim, snowmaking capabilities at resorts across New England have gotten to the point where they can put down a very good skiing surface with just a short stretch of cold temps. Is it Steamboat champagne powder? No. But it's decent.

At this point, every single ski area in the region has their snowmaking systems ready to fire up when the cold temps come. They have plenty of money budgeted for snowmaking, and simply haven't spent much so far due to the warmth. But they've been picking away at it here and there when the temps have been right. In fact, that's really the only way anyone is even open at this point. When the cold comes, they will throw every effort they can at it. Every resort needs a strong MLK Weekend and a strong Presidents' Week to make up for the dismal Christmas vacation period.

So have faith-- we'll be skiing in New Hampshire in March. I have a feeling we're going to get dumped on in late winter like a couple of years ago. That year, the resort I was working at closed in late March as scheduled, with 100% of trails open and in amazing shape. Many times, ski areas close because they run out of skiers, not snow.

Scot
    MWO Staff

Thanks

What is this snow-thing you speak of? When will it snow in Arkansas...it was almost 68* yesterday!

Scott (snow is just rain....hiding) B
    Hunting, hiking, archery, and just being outside.