Thread: Northern Presi Half Traverse

Thanks

Default Northern Presi Half Traverse

Date Hiked: 9-13-09
    Peaks summited: Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Clay, and Washington

My day began at Appalachia hiking up Valley Way. This took me a lot longer than I thought it would and I was slowed down quite a bit by the snow as I approached Madison Hut. Originally I was going to attempt a full Presidential Traverse but once I realized how slow my progress was and how long I stayed at the top of Madison to enjoy the view I realized it wasn't going to happen. If I go for it another time I will most likely bypass most if not all of the peaks, including Madison. One thing that was well timed was my descent of Madison. As I was coming down a chopper dropped off a crew of workers who would be opening up the hut. The chopper then flew up and down the mountain to unload supplies. A video and pictures of this can be found below. Once I was atop Adams I called my dad who was halfway up the auto road and he was able to see me waving my fleece around in the air. This was pretty cool considering how large the gap is over the Great Gulf. I continued to push on over a decent amount of snow in some sections. Normally this would be welcomed as it gives a flat surface to walk on, but all the post-holing made it tiring. I reached some larger and slightly steep sections of snow as I made my way up Jefferson. This is the only section that I used my ice axe on besides a few patches on Valley Way. I moved on to the summit of Jefferson and then Clay. Clay was an interesting peak to summit as it had at least one or two "fake" peaks that tricked me. Once I got to the railway on my way to the summit of Washington I must have missed the correct route to the summit as cairns I followed led me all the way around to the southern side of the peak before they climbed to the top. After failing to get my RPI sign on the webcam in March when I summited, I made sure to get on it for this hike. Overall it was an enjoyable hike and I learned how tiring it is hiking from sunrise to past sunset, especially when it is on the Presidentials.

Pics and video here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2871053&ref=mf

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....7186053&ref=mf
    Last edited by MechAeroE; 05-14-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks

Great TR and awesome photos Joe. Looks like an absolutely amazing day. Hopefully a bit less arduous than the Franconia Ridge trip. The video of the helicopter is great. All about being in the right place at the right time (unless of course you want to avoid that sort of thing).
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Nice!! Great TR and those are some kick ass photos. It looks like you had fun, if not just a beautiful day to be in the hills.

I know it was before light, but what time did you start? What time did you finish?

Joe.
    http://home.comcast.net/~onegearatatime/site/

"Men hang out signs indicative of their respective trades: shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; a jewler a monster watch; and the dentist
    hangs out a gold tooth; but in the Franconia Mountains god almighty has hung out a sign to show that in New England he makes men".
    Daniel Webster 1831

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Nice!! Great TR and those are some kick ass photos. It looks like you had fun, if not just a beautiful day to be in the hills.

I know it was before light, but what time did you start? What time did you finish?

Joe.
    Well, originally I was on the trailhead before sunrise, but I had been feeling pretty nauseous from something I had eaten the night before so I went back into town to buy something for that so I wouldn't have to deal with it on the trails, so I wasn't really moving until about 6AM. Then as seen in the webcam shot I was on the summit of Washington at 6:30PM.
    I wouldn't suggest using this as a reference for the time it takes to do this hike though. I spent a decent amount of time on top of Madison and Adams and my pace wasn't really that fast at all.