Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Climbing Mt. Washington

Thanks

Exclamation 1st Time Climbing Mt. Washington

Hi i just planned a hike of Mt. Washington with a few friends and we have never done anything like this. I've done some research of the mountain and realize it could be dangerous if we underestimate it. I would just like to ask anyone out there if they have any suggestions or information on Mt. Washington so that our planned hike goes well for us noobs. Thank-You.

Thanks

My first "real" hike was MW as well, back in 2007. I'd say, plan for a day hike, pack for an overnight (excluding tent, of course). Leave early and plan to be at the trail head by 7 am. This will give you plenty of time for extra breaks to catch your breath and take in the scenery. Its tougher than you think, but you don't need to be an Olympic athlete wither.

My "day-pack" may be heavier than much more experienced hikers, but they'd probably agree that its better to be over prepared than under. I pack with thought that there may be a chance I need to spend the night somewhere on the mountain. This means I always have a change of clothes, wool hat and gloves (even in July), first aid kit w/emergency blanket, extra socks, extra snack (PowerBars), map, compass (and my GPS), pocket knife, sun screen, two water bottles plus my steripen (in case of emergency and I need to refill from a spring or somewhere.)

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

BlueDog's advice is very good. A key part of planning is to watch the weather. read the higher summit forecasts and watch what is happening with the weather as you hike. The nice thing about trails on the west side of MW (like Ammo - Jewell combination) is you can see the weather coming. There is a lot of time when you are exposed to the weather and it can get nasty any month of the year.

On the east side of MW you do not see the weather coming - so, knowing what to expect is a lot more important. Do not be afraid of starting even earlier than 6AM as there is plenty of light then. This gives you either a bit more rest time at the summit or a better chance of getting down below treeline before afternoon showers. You want to be off the rocks and in the protection of trees if the weather gets bad.

Make sure you have a waterproof layer. Hiking out when wet is no fun at all.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Good advice from Bluedog and Brad already. For more search the forums here and read the many threads on this subject. There are many experienced hikers here that can provide good advice. Do some reading and then ask any specific questions. You'll get the help you need. Good luck.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Default Practice

In additon to what Brad and Blue said above. Just practice...don't go nuts just get some gear together and go out with all of your planned gera and try walking around in the woods near your house. You won't get the conditions, but you'll find out what works and what doesn't to keep yourself happy

e.g. where did I put those candy bars! water, what water....oh the water bottle that leaked all over my change of socks

Another good experiment is to go out in a rainstorm and see just how well prepared for the weather you are. Are those shoes going to stay dry? Cheetos get messy in the rain. Poncho hoods are floppy and suck without a solid hat worn underneath, try it you'll see.

If you can do a short climbing hike that will help too. Does your gear bang against the rocks as you climb? Does is sway precariously? Does it feel like it is pushing you forward on a ledge? is your pack hitting tree branches over your head...or bumping against your butt?

Find this out now...you'll be happy you did.

Thanks

For my two cents I would add, just go, enjoy, but be prepared, and if necessary make sure that you turn back if the conditions warrant it. As others have said many times, the mountain will be there tomorrow.

Thanks

as said above there is of info in many prior posts here that is really good reading.... but one essential thing I would say is make sure that you take the time to sign in ( and out when you return) at the visitor center. It is also a good place to get a check of what the conditions are at summit and any "special situations" on the various trails, the people there are very helpfull and freindly

Thanks

I'm also planning a first hike. A few details to clear first: anyone know parking fees and which trails are open at this point? Thanks
    Sam L

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wxwatcher View Post
    I'm also planning a first hike. A few details to clear first: anyone know parking fees and which trails are open at this point? Thanks
    All trails are open. In fact, the trails are always open. The only closure is a short section of the Tuckerman Ravine Trail in the bowl itself.

Parking at Pinkham Notch is free.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
    All trails are open. In fact, the trails are always open. The only closure is a short section of the Tuckerman Ravine Trail in the bowl itself.

Parking at Pinkham Notch is free.
    Thanks. So is the summit not accessible by Tuckerman then?

Are there any fees at all, besides the costs of preparation?
    Sam L