Thread: Paddling in the Whites?

Thanks

Default Paddling in the Whites?

Alright, I know the forum is for "hiking", but I'm looking for suggestions, trips, put ins etc. for "paddling" in the whites.

I live on the NH seacoast and split my time between hiking and kayaking the coast but I want to take my yak up north and do some paddles, especially overnights.

I'm not finding much info on the net with regard to good paddles in the whites though and figured I'd ask around on here. Thanks....

Thanks

Default Paddling

Are you looking for flat water or white water? Saco River from Bartlett to Maine border and beyond is great "family" trip. Not much to worry about in the way of rapids.

For flat water there's is Echo Lake and Profile Lake in Franconia Notch.

Some of the best places to paddle are north of the mountains. The Magalloway River and Lake Umbagog are fantastic. Mollidgewock State Park has remote campsites on the Androscoggin River in that area as well. Also, much further north of the mountains is the Connecticut Lake and Lake Francis State Park.

Google any of these and you'll get plenty of info.

KDT
    Last edited by KD Talbot; 05-22-2009 at 08:22 PM.

Thanks

In addition to KDT's suggestions, Conway Lake is pretty nice. Put in at the beach off Mill Rd (parking across the street) or at the quieter Potter Rd. If you go to Potter and are coming back at dusk/evening, make sure to get a good sighting or GPS coords.