Thread: Trip report-Sunday (no pix yet)

Thanks

Default Trip report-Sunday (no pix yet)

Well, what an interesting weekend...

First, has an adventure getting up to New Hampshire.....we *were*making good time, til we got a flat tire in Tilton. Due to the kid at Walmart lack of understanding of non-NH area codes, we were not informed my new tire was ready until 1.5 hr later, when it was really ready to go about 30 mins later.

On to the hike on Sunday, 4 of us were going up, 1 a practicing meteorologist, 1 still a good forecaster, me (I haven't foreacasted in a while) adn 1 non-wx person. Well, our 2 meteorologist were happy that the models were calling for good wx, the non-wx person noted a fore cast for rain......we all know who was right,,,

Starting up was great.....got to Pinkham at 830....very crowded lot. Started on Tux....hadn't done that in while so this was all good.....some slight drizzles...we switch off to Lion Head.....I've never climbed up it before, but it is one of my favorite trails heading down. THe weather is starting to get worse, but we still hike on (not a good idea)

Just below 4000' (give or take, the altimeter is usually off), we met up with Will, he was hiking solo, so our group of 4 is now 5. It's slow going to the top, with the weather and the few patches of snow.....again, I love my microspikes. This was the first time my bf (the non-wx person) had seen the "800 feet of hell," (the rock scramble) so that was a fun knew experience, and about 2 years since I was last on that trail. Thankfully, my training seems to have helped, I wasn't tired, just nervous about the weather....rain, some sleet, and we think winds of near 35 mph (we had an anemometer)

Finally, around 140....SUMMIT!!! That staircase to the summit building is such torture....I'd have to say the worst part of the whole hike, lol. Lots of soaked people. We eat our lunches, I put our names in for the shuttle (no way were going hike down in that weather.) the 2 weather geeks go play outside and get a pic at the summit sign, I stay with my bf, who wasn't feeling too well. Pick up some souvenirs, get in the shuttle, and head back down...first time I ever took the shuttle.

Looking back, we were pretty stupid for hiking, esp when we saw (well, half of us saw) that the forecast had changed, and we should have turned around before Lions Head...this was by far the worst conditions I've been in while hiking. (I think we measured 40 mph sustained winds, though I am not sure how accurate the anemometer was) and I am kicking myself for not getting any pictures while at the summit (my friends did, I'll post those later, but I missed out on the summit sign picture)

Sorry for the rambling and lack of pix, I'm working on about 3 hours of sleep and have to head to work soon.....the adventure is over

Thanks

It is always an adventure up there - and am glad you made it safely.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

So am I.....we were stupid, and I have def learned something.

Hoping Will made it down safe....he disappeared after summitting.

Thanks

Looking forward to your pictures! Glad you made it down safely.