Thread: Hancock to Carrigan via the captain

Thanks

Question Hancock to Carrigan via the captain

I am just curious if anyone has done Hancock to Carrigan via the captain. Can this off trail hike be done?? Has anyone done this route and if so how difficult is it?? What about Vose Spur?? Looking for difficult off trail areas that are difficult but not impossible. Hancock to Carrigan over the captain looks like it would be intense.

Thanks

That's one of those hikes that looks really interesting when you study the map. The section from Carrigain to Vose Spur has a pretty good herd path on it from people doing Vose Spur as a NE 100 (though often they go up and back down from Carrigain Notch and don't bother to go over to Carrigain). About 10 years ago the herd path was distinct, and I'm sure it's gotten more so over the years. I've also been up the Captain from the valley to the south of it (continuing along logging roads from the Sawyer River road), and the summit wasn't actually that bad. I have not connected the Captain with Carrigain or the Hancocks. I'm sure the ridge will have some extremely thick spots especially around the 4000 foot level and higher, where you are bound to get into a lot of scrub.

Thanks

Thumbs up Sounds like it can be done

Anyone in for a challange?? Beers on me at Moat Mountain after the hike. My skills with G.P.S. leave alot to be desired (ask Blue Dog) so I am looking for someone to do this hike with who knows this area well and has the G.P.S. expertise to go with it. I would like to tie in Hancock, The Captain,Carrigan and Vose Spur. I don't feel comfortable doing this solo with my lack of expert G.P.S. Skills. Blue Dog you up for it??

Thanks

Default Captain to Carrigain

Long pants. Long sleeved shirt. Canvas gloves. Eye protection. Oh yeah, and about 5 gallons of Deet. Have fun!

KDT

Thanks

Default So you in??

Kevin so I take this as your in for this hike. Not sure about how good it will be for pictures though??

Thanks

I will be wishing you well from the comfort of Gloucester, MA. Don't forget, you have to get up to the top of South Hancock first (if going west to east), or you have to drop down from it at the end of a very tiring day (if going east to west). If it was me, I would do it east to west and give myself the bailout options of the Signal Ridge trail (hopefully you'd get further than that) or the Captain-Carrigain col. I have a feeling the stretch on the upper west ridge of Carrigain summit is going to be extremely thick. The navigation will be most challenging between the Captain and "East Hancock." Don't go up or down the southwest side of the Captain, or you will find yourself on a very nasty cliff! This all assumes you're doing it from the Sawyer River/Hancock Notch side.

Thanks

Default Hike

If you wait until bug season is over and some of the leaves fall off I might consider it. Pictures will all be scrapes and bruises.

KDT