Thread: Cooking next week

Thanks

Default Cooking next week

We are cooking from the 10th to the 17th of June. How is the old stove working?
    Any special requests from the crew?
    Will my cell phone work on the summit?
    If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough.

Thanks

My wife is out of town this week also. Let me pull together my list of desired meals. Thanks for offering to cook for me off in Maine too.

On a more serious note, what cell phone provider do you use? The answer to your question may be based on that. I know that with AT&T I do not have coverage at the summit.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

i have nextel and it does work up top you need to go on the deck and put one leg on the tailing and have one hand up in the air .

it does work you just need to find the right spot
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

I have Verizon and I get a signal on the summit but I have to be outside or in the tower door entrance just outside the living quarters. I have found that the signal is analog though so my battery life is very short.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Whoops! guess I should have asked for requests last week. Thanks for the phone info.
    If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough.

Thanks

have a good time up there
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LRKimo View Post
    We are cooking from the 10th to the 17th of June. How is the old stove working?
    Any special requests from the crew?
    Will my cell phone work on the summit?
    The old stove works fine. Although the springs have broke on the oven door so it is being latched shut with a hook type device. Good news is, we have budgeted for a new one, bad news is it won't be here before ya get here.

As for requests, the other shift is not picky. In fact, neither shift is per say. No one is allergic to anything so that helps. In the years I have been here, there hasn't been a time I have not consumed what was given me. Case in point was when I ate undercooked meat just to be polite and got sick for a week (Jim S. can relate to this as well). But even if you had asked a week before, it would not have made a difference since only Brian and I are the ones that look at these forums regularly.

As for cell phones, none work in the living quarters very well but if you come up to the first floor where the weather room is, you can get limited service on any provider with some caviats. ATT works best by far. In fact, we use Brians iPhone as back up internet in the winter. I have forecasted using only an iPhone. Verizon will say you have five bars (thats who I have) but they do not work almost anywhere. There are pockets but, like others have said, you have to wear an aluminum hat with one foot in the air and your arms like a cactus. As for Sprint, Nextel, or other providers, the service is even more spottier. Safest thing is to bring a calling card up with ya or call collect. If it is just to call home, the last option is once you get here, we will give you our number and they can call after hours and talk to ya that way. If it is for business though, we will not be providing you our number since we have to keep the line open for our business-esque type calls.

Cheers and I will briefly be seeing you before I head down on Wednesday.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)