Thread: Wonderful Weekend in the Presis

Thanks

Default Wonderful Weekend in the Presis

Last Friday, Tim & I headed up Mt Jefferson via Caps Ridge Trail. Last time we stood on that summit, we could see maybe 30 feet. We thought it would be nice to be there when it was NICE.

We had a lovely day - lots of time spent birding in the first mile, then up over the caps, which are so much fun, then the rough 0.5-mile to the summit. The weather was never in question and we could have lunch at the top in relative comfort (and yet no bugs).

The next day, we met up with Debi and her family at Glen House, then headed up the Auto Road. We stopped at the Alpine Garden Trailhead at the 6-mile mark and then hiked in along the rim of Huntington Ravine and along towards Tuckerman Ravine. It was an absolutely gorgeous day and everyone really enjoyed themselves! We even saw a bear on the Auto Road - although I think a LOT of people are seeing him recently.

Trail Reports here!
    Mt Jefferson
    Alpine Garden

Thanks!
    Valerie

Thanks

Wow - what an amazing weekend! The Alpine Garden hike the way you guys did it has to be one of the best bang-for-the-hikes up there. Too bad the flowers are a bit slow this spring but the day sure looks perfect.

You've just convinced me to move Jefferson up the list (note to self - too many hikes at the top of the list and too little time in the mountains). This is the best set of pics of a hike up the Caps Ridge that I've seen. Wish there was a better option for coming down - I love this kind of route on the way up but share your dislike of the down Val. This may be one that we can sneak in during the week after STP pending the rest of the plans. Easy enough access from Moose Brook...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtruman View Post
    You've just convinced me to move Jefferson up the list (note to self - too many hikes at the top of the list and too little time in the mountains). This is the best set of pics of a hike up the Caps Ridge that I've seen. Wish there was a better option for coming down - I love this kind of route on the way up but share your dislike of the down Val. This may be one that we can sneak in during the week after STP pending the rest of the plans. Easy enough access from Moose Brook...
    Jefferson was actually our last of the 48 when we did it last Sept. Not sure why... it just happened that way.

If you could spot a car, it would be possible to walk the ridge over to Mt Clay and then come down the Jewell Trail. That makes a much longer walk but would be very nice on the ridge if the weather was good. Other than that, the only "detour" that we would consider next time would be to take the Cornice around to the south and hit the Gulfside Trail (AT) and then head back north from there. We haven't been on that part of the Gulfside Trail before, but it may be a bit less rough since it's probably better-traveled. It would add about a little more than half a mile each way, but may still be a quicker trip! If we could alleviate some of the roughness in that top half-mile, then I think the rest of the way down would be more comfortable.

It's definitely easy access from Moose Brook. You are a better man than I (which is not that difficult) if you can do Caps Ridge right after Mt Washington!

Valerie

p.s. if you're looking for another exciting path up Mt Jeff, check out Kevin's trip report up the Castle Trail!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tim&Val View Post
    J
    It's definitely easy access from Moose Brook. You are a better man than I (which is not that difficult) if you can do Caps Ridge right after Mt Washington!
    What the heck. Last year did Falling Waters (your favorite trail I believe) and Franconia Ridge the day after STP (and Greenleaf to Galehead the day after that - nap time anyone?). How bad can Caps Ridge be?

Just checked out Kevin's Castle Trail. I see what you mean! Decisions, decisions...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

LOVE your shots of the Alpine Garden! We recognized a lot of the cairns on that stretch as we spent two days rebuilding some of them and positioning scree walls in that stretch last year. Wonderful floral and bird shots too! Thanks for posting!
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

Default Wonderful!

Both hikes must have been beautiful! Great pics, birds in particular. I really like the picture of Val standing in the dead trees, very interesting composition. How great to get out there with family, kids especially.

KDT