Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time to Mount Washington

Thanks

Question First time to Mount Washington

We will be at Mount Washington for the first time ever on the Fourth of July.

Any advice is appreciated on the Mount Washington area from insiders would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It might help if you were a bit more specific on how you are getting up to the summit. There are different bits of advice pending on if you are hiking, driving, taking the cog, staying with an edutrip or doing a fly by. And the more specific you are on what kind of tips you are looking for the better the response will be (ie, how much water do i need, is there camping, how much does it cost to stay at Lakes, etc).
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

We are thinking of taking the cog to the summit. We are traveling as 2 adult couples with 2 children (3 and 9). We have accomodations. I was wondering if the Cog is a good way to go.

Also, what other things are there to do in the area? Are there easy trails that children would enjoy?

We are going into this with no knowledge of the area.

Thanks

Doing it on the Cog is a fun way of going up and down. the adults and 9 yr old will enjoy it. The 3 yr old may get a bit bored - especially if the cloud layer is low that day. The time I went on the Cog they said you should come down with the same group you went up with. But, if things are not too crowded you can risk it and wait till a later Cog.

If you do wait, then you would have time for an Observatory tour (I assume you are a member) and a chance to get downstairs to the museum. If the weather is good, then getting out to the Tip Top House and walking around the summit is nice.

At the Cog Base Station there is also another museum which is fun to see while you are waiting for your train.

We now have a resident expert on NH attractions - Spyboy. He just went to see 18 major attractions in the area and lots of them are very kid-friendly. Some would be good rainy day activities and others are definitely for good weather. Hopefully, Kirk will post links to the ones he went to.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Default Lost River!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

We take our nieces and nephews to Lost River. The 9 year old will LOVE it. The 3 year old may like it or not, depending a bit on his/her sense of adventure. Lots of fun rocks to crawl on and caves (small ones) to climb through, but there's always a boardwalk around the cave in case someone in the crowd doesn't feel the need to crawl through caves.

http://www.findlostriver.com/

(I am not in any way affliated with them)

As far as trails go, I would consider parking at The Basin in Franconia Notch State Park. There's an easy trail that follows the brook and many places where the kids can get into the brook and play/catch crayfish/etc... No swimming directly *at* the Basin, but just follow the trail away behind it and you should find the brook.

Have fun! We enjoyed our vacations here in NH so much that we finally moved here.

Valerie

Thanks

I second Val's recommendations on both Lost River and the Basin. We did these both many times when my daughter was younger and we all loved them.

One of our other favorite things to do was hikes to waterfalls. There are many good ones that are short hikes and great for the kids. Many are listed in the White Mountains and NH guides that you can pick up at the visitor centers.

Another great thing to do is take one of the trams up the other mountains. Loon, Cannon and Wildcat are all good. Maybe not needed on this trip if you're going up Mt Washington on the Cog.

Of the other paid attractions our favorite was always the Flume. Nice hike for the kids with some spectacular scenery.

Hope you have a wonderful time!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

At the risk irritating of my fellow hikers...I'd recommend Storyland. I went as a kid and have taken my kids in the past few years. 3 year olds love it and most 9 year olds like it too (despite what they may say). It's not really nature, but more in line with what 3 YO's like. After a trip up the cog a 3 YO will be nearly out of their gourd and will need some kid fun...there is always McD's with the indoor playland in Conway.

Thanks

Thank you so much for the information.

I look forward to visiting your state.

Thanks

Default Cog

If you ride the Cog keep in mind that it's open and you will be subject to much cooler temps at the summit than at Marshfield Station, Bring warm pull-overs. Check out the museum on the summit and visit the Observatory. They don't give you much time on the summit. Not sure if you can wait for the next train or if you have to return on the same one. I think most trips this time of year are sold out so I think you have to return on the same train.

An alternative is the Auto Road which has shuttles or you can drive yourself.

Agree with visits to Lost River and Franconia Notch where there is The Basin (free) and Flume Gorge (fee). Also in LIncoln there are other attractions such as Clark's Bears and Hobo Train as well as many restaurants. North Conway also has many attractions and fine restaurants. A trip from North Conway to Lincoln along the Kancamagus Highway is a must do in the area, there are many excellent places to swim and several short hikes.

KDT

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thank you. We enjoyed our visit at the summit of Mount Washington.