Thread: 2 night loop

Thanks

Default 2 night loop

My friend and I are heading up to hike Mt. Washington for the first time! We'll stay at a hut overnight and then we are looking to camp out for two nights. Does anyone have any suggestions for a 2 night loop? Most of the hiking would be done on the 2nd day since we have to get there the first day and drive home the third day. Thanks!

Thanks

This is a little confusing. You say that you want to stay at a hut for one night and camp for two nights but only have 3 days. The closest hut to Mt Washington is Lakes of the Clouds so that certainly works for your hut night. As many recent threads here have discussed the camping around Mt Washington is limited. There are a couple of camping areas (established tent sites) in the Presidentials that are possible but it depends on how many days you have.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

I'm confused as well.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Sorry about the confusion. We'll be in the area for a total of 3 nights/4days. We have a reservation at Lake of the Clouds Hut for the 1st night so day 1 will be hiking to the hut.

Day 2 is fairly packed and hopefully realistic. The plan is to hike to the summit of Mt. Washington early and then head back down to the car. We're not sure about timing but we are hoping to drive somewhere else in the park and find a loop that we can start the afternoon of the second day.

Day 3 would be hiking.

And day 4 would be finishing the loop.

Hopefully I didn't make this even more confusing!

One idea I had was hiking Liberty Spring Trail to Franconia Ridge Trail to Falling Waters Trail to Lonesome Lake and finish the loop with Cascade Brook Trail. This seems like it could be a possibility but as I'm not familiar with the area, I would greatly appreciate any advice

Thanks!

Thanks

Although your timing does appear off of days/nights you intend to stay, the word camping raises some flags. This topic has been discussed to the brink this summer with one good link being here: http://www.mountwashington.org/forum...hlight=camping But in case you do not want to read that all, these are the rules and regs that you need to know:

CAMPING

Presidential Range-Dry River Wilderness

Wilderness regulations, intended to protect Wilderness resources and promote opportunities for challenge and solitude, prohibit use of motorized equipment or mechanical means of transportation of any sort. Camping and wood or charcoal fires are not allowed within 200 ft. of any trail except at designated campsites.

Hiking and camping group size must be no larger than 10 people. Camping and fires are also prohibited above the treeline (where trees are less than 8 ft. tall), except in winter, when camping is permitted above the treeline in places where snow cover is at least 2 ft. deep, but not on any frozen body of water. Many shelters have been removed, and the remaining ones will be dismantled when major maintenance is required; one should not count on using any of these shelters.

Forest Protection Areas

The WMNF has established a number of Forest Protection Areas (FPAs)?
    formerly known as Restricted Use Areas?where camping and wood or charcoal fires are prohibited throughout the year. The specific areas are under continual review, and areas are added to or subtracted from the list in order to provide the greatest amount of protection to areas subject to damage by excessive camping, while imposing the lowest level of restrictions possible. A general list of FPAs in this section follows, but since there are often major changes from year to year, one should obtain current information on FPAs from the WMNF.

(1) No camping is permitted above treeline (where trees are less than
    8 ft. tall), except in winter, and then only in places where there is at least
    2 ft. of snow cover on the ground?but not on any frozen body of water,
    and not on the east face of Mt. Washington's summit cone from Boott
    Spur to Nelson Crag (the area above Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines,
    including the Alpine Garden area). The point where the above-treeline
    restricted area begins is marked on most trails with small signs, but the
    absence of such signs should not be construed as proof of the legality of
    a site.

(2) No camping is permitted within a quarter mile of any trailhead,
    picnic area, or any facility for overnight accommodation such as a hut,
    cabin, shelter, tentsite, or campground, except as designated at the facility
    itself. In the area covered by Section 1, camping is also forbidden within a
    quarter mile of Glen Ellis Falls

I would close by saying that most of Mt Washington is a day trip. I would say if you are trying to stretch it out for muli days, set up a base camp at one of the designated areas in either the great gulf or tuckermans and make some day trips. It lightens your load up the cirques and still allows for legal camping "on" the mountain.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

Thanks for the advice on camping. Last night I tried to post a clarification of my timing but it didn't seem to go up. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Basically, we're in the area for 3 nights/4 days. The first night we will be staying at the Lake of the Clouds Hut. After that, we are planning on driving to a different part of the park and starting a loop (still to be determined) or establish a base camp (thanks for the idea). So Mt. Washington will be Day 1 and the morning of Day 2. The loop/base camp will be the afternoon of Day 2, Day 3 and the morning of Day 4.

A couple possibilities I have looked at for a loop are:
    Whiteface Passaconaway Loop
    a loop in the Wild River Wilderness Area

I have been reading up on the camping regulations and will be sure to respect them.

I would love any thoughts on the loops! I hope I figure out how to post this...
    Last edited by bjk; 06-30-2009 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks

Default Crag Camp

From what I read a perfect loop with a night stay over would be the Jefferson, Adams and Madison loop. You could stay at any of the R.M.C. camps. I prefer Crag camp myself. Climb to Crag camp drop your gear and then slack pack Jefferson Adams and Madison then back to Crag camp for the night. You could always just do this from Lakes and then catch the shuttle at Appalachia back to your car but that would be totally up to you.