Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Glen House hotel

Thanks

Default New Glen House hotel

I just saw an article on the auto road website about the new hotel they are building. Supposed to be just north of the auto road with views of the mountains and Great Gulf. They are panning a completion date of 2012.

I have mixed feelings about this.

Here's the link:

http://www.mountwashingtonautoroad.c...uto+Road+Theme
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Steve, I think your response about "mixed feelings" is probably representative for many.

anything specific you see as "bad"? that you just can't get around?

Breeze

Thanks

Default Mixed feelings, alright!

I have to say, I guess if this is done right, with the conservation of the area in mind, and doesn't change the appearance of the area in a detrimental way, then I think it will be a boon to the area.

My biggest concern would be that it paves the way for other expansion and the inevitable condo infestation. One of the main things that attracts me to Wildcat and this area in general is that I want to look at the breathtaking scenery, not condos. If it wound up looking like Loon or Bretton Woods I'd be devastated and probably never return. I pray this is not the vision in mind, but money talks and bullsh__ walks as they say.

I hope some consideration to the working class is given here. I hope it doesn't become exclusive like so many other projects in the mountains.

Breeze- I read what you wrote on VFTT and would like you to rehash it here if you would. I think you gave a lot of insight into the project and it might put some minds at a little more ease about this.

KDT

Thanks

It would be helpful for some of us uninformed to give us some background on land ownership in the notch. Can people buy land in through there and do the condo thing? It is national parks land? Or ?
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Gosh, folks. I'll do my best !

Its hard to visualize, but there are still private holdings in Pinkham Notch that predate USFS and WMNF creation.

Much of the Peabody River Valley from the Notch , north, to Gorham was held in ownership by E. Libby and Sons from the mid-1800's. This family - owned company originated with lumber/logging/shipping by rail and over time diversified into land-holding. The Mt Washington Summit Road Company, incorporated in 1859, is , at the very core, E. Libbey & Sons. While land sales and swaps have been made between E. Libby&Sons ( the land-holding company) and the USDA/USFS, there is still CONSIDERABLE Libby land outside the boundaries of the WMNF.

Just fer instance, E.Libby and Sons was the last owner of the Dolly Copp site before selling to the USFS.

Wildcat is a totally different scenario. Wildcat Ski Area operates under a lease agreement with the USDA/USFS, it has no land "ownership" per se, and therefore limited opportunity to expand into "land development" by building in the brick/mortar sense. The land Wildcat sits on is 100% owned by the USFS, and the operation agreement with the USFS is a highly detailed piece of work. USFS inspects Wildcat operations FREQUENTLY and Wildcat can hardly cut a tree branch without USFS permission.

Back to the Glen House....

The newest incarnation of the Glen House will be built uphill and just slightly north of the current MWAR/GG building cluster. Access will be by a road built from the north end of the current parking lot, curving uphill skirting the birch grove. Much of the grove/mixed forest will be retained as screening, the intent is to keep as much of the "forest" feel as possible. Parking for the hotel will be behind the building, not in front. There will be walking/biking/skiing trails that connect the Hotel to the current base operations. Construction will be to LEED/green standards.

The annualized average room rate is presumed a@ $157 for opening in June of 2011. Seasonally, that could range from $90's per night in low seasons, upwards to the $200/night at peak. Remember that Lakes and Carter huts are $90pp/pn, full service, but those are bunk-room accommodations, not "hotel rooms".

Lodging as always been successful at the Glen House site, while the buildings were not long lived. While the current lodging market is very different from that of the last Glen House ( early-mid 1960's), I think the location will serve as a "bridge" between Conway/Jackson and Gorham markets in a way that the Joe Dodge Lodge doesn't try to fill.

In the winter, Gorham lodging caters heavily to the "bus tour" groups going to Sunday River, while south of the Notch sells heavily to the Attitash/Cranmore/Bretton Woods market. Wildcat is a smaller player in the overall scheme.

Yes, I am an employee of the Auto Road, just trying hard as I can to be factual and not cheer leading. In fact, I've also worked at Wildcat for several seasons, so you have full disclosure that I'm going to be affected by this project any way it goes.

Breeze

Thanks

Default Thanks, Sue!

No matter what happens, we won't hold you personally responsible!

Please keep us up to date as much as possible. Thanks!

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    It would be helpful for some of us uninformed to give us some background on land ownership in the notch. Can people buy land in through there and do the condo thing? It is national parks land? Or ?
    Brad, the closest "building lots for sale" , in proximity to Pinkham Notch,are going to be within Gorham or Jackson town limits. Leaving Gorham and heading south, Clay Brook Estates is as close to the WMNF as one will find a building lot, and that is a heavily covenanted residential development of single family homes.

Coming from the South, once you pass the WMNF welcome sign, its USFS. That isn't much past the Dana Place Inn.

Condos= No. Not a possibility.

Breeze

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    No matter what happens, we won't hold you personally responsible!

Please keep us up to date as much as possible. Thanks!

KDT
    YW, KDT/all, but in a public forum I'm holding myself pretty dam* responsible for what I say and how I say it in terms of engaging public discussion in the <now>.

Breeze ( yep, I'm Sue ).

Thanks

There was a picture of the design and a story in the Conway Daily Sun on June 27.
    You can download the entire issue with story and pictures, in PDF format, at this link:
    http://www.laconiadailysun.com/pdf/2009/6/27.pdf
    Gene .. just one more Swamp Yankee from RI.

Thanks

This is quite an exciting announcement. The mountains in NH used to have many grand hotels and only a few are still here. This is a step back in tradition to having one again in Pinkham Notch. This notch has so much history and beauty. This is why there have been several Glen Houses in the past. Having another one can add to the notch, if it is done well. The drawings make it look a like Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC - which is beautiful.

Protect some of the wonderful stands of trees in that area - parking out of sight - these are things that say management is concerned with the design and visual impact. I look forward to watching it all unfold and hopefully add to the beauty of Pinkham Notch.

-----
    Breeze,

On Tuesday as we paid for our tickets to go up the Auto Road at the toll house I asked for you. Not sure where you work in the organization, but I tried to say hi.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012