Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mount Chocorua

Thanks

Default Mount Chocorua

I fannaly got a chance to head North to do some hiking and decided to try Mt. Chocorua. I have heard it gets pretty busy on the summit so I arrive at the trail head just before 7am. I was on the trail by 7:00 and heading for the falls.

I arrived at the loop sign just before 8.

I would advise everybody if you have a chance go to the falls. they were absolutley beautiful and I did not want to leave. The pictures really don't do them justice.

I decided to take a short break here and had a happy squirrel take my picture.

I shot this little flower near the falls.

After climbing alot of stairs to get back on the trail I was on my way.
    I arrived at the summit just before 10 and hung out for a bit. I was all alone and it was great. I thought for sure there would be more people up there but I only passed two guys going down. It was hot and humid up top with almost no breeze.

While I was there I met a little bird .

I was pondering for a moment where everybody else might be.

While I was enjoying the views and having a snack I heard some kind of animal roaring in the woods and it sounded like it lasted about 5 seconds in the same way I had just came up. I have never heard something like this before and kinda scared the poop out of me. Because I knew I had to go back that way.Or maybe that is what happend to evrybody else?
    Here is a picture of me being scared.

I started back down about 10:10 and I was a little nervous but I had no choice. I am glad I started early because I passed so many people heading up that I stopped counting at 85 and passed alot more. I kinda felt like a ranger with all the question on how much further or how was the summit etc. I am not complaing it was fun but the summit had to be crowded. I arrived back at the parking lot at 11:55 and it was so crowded that cars were parked on the grass and about 20 cars parked on the Kang. Oh how I love starting early.All in all it felt so good to be back in the woods and clearing my head.
    Here is a link to more pictures if you would like to see.
    http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...corua/?start=0

Thanks

Nice TR and beautiful pics. Quite a treat getting Chocorua to yourself. Gotta get up early in the morning to pull that off

Looks like you got a great STP warmup!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Default Nice!

Nice TR and pics, Chris! Chocorua is often overlooked but is a great hike and some of the best views in the mountains!

KDT

Thanks

Great pics.

We did Chocurua as kids up the Piper Trail and I remember the black flies were so bad near the top that we couldn't wait to get to the wind at the summit to escape them. Great hike, though.

We did Champney on another occasion during a dry spell and renamed it Champney Drip. Still a good hike.
    Mark
    Randomography
    MJ Pics

Thanks

Thanks everybody. I really thought I was going to have company on the summit but I had it all to myself . I am planning on going back with my wife and daughter during the week after STP even if it is just to the water falls.
    I really needed to do this hike just to clear my head and to get my legs in shape for STP. I can honestly say I feel ready and can't wait.

Thanks

Thumbs up Mount Chocorua

Chris,
    A first rate report and pictures. It's good to see the sun shining again in the mountains of NH. Especially get a kick from your "expression" pictures. Looking forward to your STP report and pictures.
    Mike and Donna

Thanks

Thanks Mike and Donna It was a really enjoyable hike. Ok a little scary when I heard the roar from the woods. But heck you gotta have fun especially with the camera .

Thanks

How far in are the falls? My husband and daughter aren't interested in the summit but would hike that far with my son and I if it isn't too long or hard of a hike. We would leave them there to take pics and Will and I would summit and come back to pick them up on the way by. Is that feasible on this trail?

Thanks

I made it to the falls in 45 mins at a decent pace but I would say about 1 hour hike in. The trail to the falls is rather easy going and I belive just over 1 mile. When you take the loop to get to the falls there is a little hill then down to the falls. Really not bad at all. Now when you leave the falls you do have something like 50 stairs to climb but still not bad as you can see more of the higher up falls on the way up.It really was a beautiful place but I would advise you to go early as I passed alot and I do mean alot of people going up as I was going down.

Thanks

Chris,
    Thanks. Sounds doable with the family