Default Cannon Mountain

Cannon Mountain
    July 15, 2009
    Trail Conditions: Wet and slippery
    Time start: 10:20
    Hit summit: 12:30
    Left from lunch: 1:00
    Back to car: 2:49

Injuries: scrapped knee (boyfriend) bruised posterior (me...man does it hurt! Better than my head, though)
    Animals: Maybe a junko? Definitely smelt a skunk

Total 4000 footers climbed thus far: 18/48

Had to do a bit of a warm up for STP next weekend and today was our one shot at it. I have a horrible schedule since I have work 3 days a week and class 3 days a week, so we got up early today and slogged up to Cannon.

When we got there, we realized that my boyfriend (Eric) had forgotten his raincoat and the clouds were overcast with a large raincloud smack dab on the summit. Luckily, he was able to buy a poncho from the gift shop that he never needed.

The start of the trail was fairly horrendous since it had rained the night before and the trail is made of some combination of gravel, sand, and rock.
    and you just keep slogging through this for about 1,100 feet.

The other issue we had was that there were about 80 young men all dressed alike that just kept coming and coming. I finally asked one of them what group they were with and he said they were all training to become priests. So maybe that helped with the weather, also.

Kept going up with mostly ease, especially once we hit the rock part. We found this interesting rock just under the Rim Trail:

Maybe people can fill in for the Old Man here?

Once on the Rim Trail, we were met by a large group of people. One of them was stating "Well you wouldn't want to hike all the way down there" just as we were coming up. I replied with "Well, we came from all the way down there..." We also saw some people with strollers on the trail. Weird:

The obligatory summit picture (taken from the observation tower):

I am getting much better at self shots:

All in all, a good mountain to do some preparing for Washington with. That steep climb will come in handy for next weekend (eek!) and I'm almost halfway to finishing the 4000 footers

Jocelyn

Thanks

Must have gone up the Kinsman Ridge trail? Definitely not a lot of fun when wet and muddy I'm sure (and even less fun on the way down). Trails on Mt Washington will be much better Nice TR and pics.

See you at STP!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Nice trip report and pictures. I thought the self shot was really nice with the view behind you. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Thanks!

Yes, we did Kinsman. We figured the steep climb would tell us how in shape we were for next weekend Hopefully the weather is the same cause itw as gorgeous if a bit windy.

The rest of my photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/faegirl...7621402686707/

Thanks

Default Really nice!

Great to see you getting out there! Yes, KRT is a tough climb, but what a great mountain!

KDT

Thanks

Nice TR and pictures!

THe Kinsman Ridge Trail is one steep ornery trail! Not one of my favorites.

Love the stroller picture. I usually used slings, but sometimes I shoved my kids up all kinds of trails when they were younger using an off-road stroller. Kids got all jostled about but I think they had fun.

And the priests! Too funny. You had quite the trail companions that day.

Thanks

Great trail report!!!

We've seen the priests-to-be several times, but always on Mt Lafayette. I guess they moved across the street for a weekend!

Valerie