Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MWO Mobile Site Pre-Launch

Thanks

Just tried each feature on my Treo 700p and they all work great. Thanks!

Will there possibly be a feature in the future to browse the comments and journal photos in prior months? Or will we just use the full site for that?
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

For now, as long as you're willing to keep clicking the "previous" arrow in the mobile Photo Journal & Obs Comments pages, you can browse prior months.

Thanks

I don't know if I missed it or not in the previous posts, but one thing that I would think to be critical in a mobile app is a home page "quick link" to real time local radar. I think that one of the best "safety features" of this technology could be to track any precipitation that may help you decide your course of action. Anyone who has gone hiking on MW has seen people with no packs, rain gear, warm clothing or basic necessities while bad weather was moving into the area. I'm thinking that most of the people who do go out unprepared, may still carry a smart phone with them. There are probably some other simple tools that could be located on the homepage such as a GPS map or some other "quick link" that could help a casual or even a more seasoned hiker make informed decisions.

Thanks

Radar is a product solely created by the NWS, not by MWO. Anybody can redistribute and even sell it, but many other people already have dedicated sites and apps for that. "Real-time" radar is something different, none of it is free and if it is the quality sucks. Again, there are many good radar apps out there, including a pay app for the iPhone that provides excellent real-time data with detail. It's a one time fee of $10 for the program.

I noticed the photo journal has been added. That's a great feature. On my iphone it took some time before I realized you could scroll through the photos. The arrow is a little hard to see and tricky to use at first. Very nice regardless.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I realize that there are dedicated sites out there for radar. I keep several on my iphone. What I'm saying is there should be a link available for someone who may not have any radar apps loaded. My point is that if they are creating a mobile app, then one of the best things about it should be as an aid to anyone on the mountain. As I stated earlier, there are a lot of people who go on the mountain unprepared. The one thing that they probably do remember to bring with them is their phone. With all the smartphone capabilities & with so many now carrying them, it could be a lifesaver and/or save rescue for having to go out if the person could help themselves.

Thanks

I think it's a great idea to have a radar link on the mobile site. Mt Washington could be at the center of the display, if that's possible. I too have links to radar sites on my Treo that work pretty darn good, but to have one with the White Mountains available right from the mobile site would be convenient. Zoom and animate options would be even better. Of course all this depends on whether data service is available to a users location. I'm on Verizon and I usually can't get any data service in the mountains.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

The mobile site right now says

Conditions on Wednesday 7:30 AM:
    Temp: 51.6?F (10.9?C)
    Wind: W (276?) @ 31.6 mph (50.9 kph)
    Gust:
    Wind Chill: (-17.8?C)

But, the wind chill data does not seem right.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Looks like there is an issue with the data feed from the summit. I've reported it.