Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thank you MWOBS

Thanks

Really good idea, Valerie! Maybe there should be 0-6, 8-13, and 13-20 catergories that allow the kids to have a little raffle of their own? Toys/weather reporting kits for the younger kids, gift certificates/a camera package for the older kids?

That way, they can all have a chance to win something they can actually use and we can all have a chance at the beer?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tim&Val View Post
    We filled ours out too! But thought of one other item after pressing the "Submit" button...

It would have been nice if the two kids who won the beer had been able to swap out for another prize. After all, they raised money and hiked, and it was their name that was drawn, not their parents'. Maybe they could have gotten an LLBean gift card or something. Just seems like a bummer that your name finally gets called and you get nothing...

... and maybe that beer would have gone back into the POT and we would have had another chance at it

Valerie
    It definitely looked like the kids were really bummed out. I felt bad for them. Kids always love to get gifts. Very good idea to have prizes for the kids next year. I suppose it's just an unfortunate thing to happen as STP evolves.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Default I for one...

would like to see the kick-off party moved out of downtown North Conway. Getting there on a Friday night in July just plain sucks. I told them that in the survey.

I think a good place would be at the Glen House, or maybe PNVC. They could have a buffet.

The other thing I want them to do is limit Scott Henley to 90 second speeches. Good luck with that!

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    would like to see the kick-off party moved out of downtown North Conway. Getting there on a Friday night in July just plain sucks. I told them that in the survey.

I think a good place would be at the Glen House, or maybe PNVC. They could have a buffet.

The other thing I want them to do is limit Scott Henley to 90 second speeches. Good luck with that!

KDT
    i said they should have the kick off at the same tent ass the dinner .they can have sone finger food there and we will have more time to chat with each other [ more room ]

i would think the parents would have got there kids some thing ,i would have
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Default Tent

That's true, Charlie. The tent is already set up. Just do it there! Flatbread could send a couple dozen pizzas up if they want to stay involved.

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post

KDT
    Agreed! Sitting in a line of traffic on Rt 16 is not a way to "kick off" this great weekend.

Thanks

Default kids drawing for S.T.P.

Wow no kids drawing this year? Last year was so neat when Karen approached me and asked how old Madison was. She then set the drawing for the youngest hiker that year for S.T.P. Madison will never forget being on that stage and getting that head lamp. I mean take a look back at the 08 pictures that Ed took at the turkey dinner and see all the smiles on those kids face when they won their gifts. A kids category should be part of the prizes. As far as Friday night yes the traffic in North Conway stinks!!! With the Friday night register / get together at Flatbreads there is no way around the traffic. By moving it out to P.N.V.C. it makes the drive further for those on the kanc or that side. If the obs wants to keep it in North Conway why not move it to the outside of town and move it to Moats. I know that some people even stayed at Moats for the event. Moats might be nice because you can get around the traffic to get there. Just a thought. Next year count me in and I will heading home with a nice new obs fleece.

Thanks

Default Moats

As much as I love Moats, it doesn't solve the problem. You'll still get bogged down in Conway. Near the Kanc is the worst part. Coming in 302 from Fryeburg stinks as well. Even with West Side Rd and the bypass to the east you still have to get to them. I still think using the tent at the auto road is the best idea.

KDT

Thanks

This reply is a long way down the thread (since we've been away most of the week) but I want to add our voices of thanks to all of the OBS staff and volunteers that make this event possible every year. You guys all deserve a huge round of applause!!! Haven't filled out the survey yet (but will today). Some of the suggestions that were made in this thread are good ones but for my part I can't believe how well everything went. There will always be a few small hitches no matter what you do but if the future events run even close to as well as they did this year and last they will be total successes!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Default Thank you MWOBS

Thank you all for your kind comments Those comments are part of what keeps me going each and every day no matter how challenging the day can be. Most teachers really do the very best they can every day--especially with all the red tape these days. Your kind words are appreciated more than you know