Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seek the Peek '09 - Mark, Natalie and Jamie

Thanks

Default Seek the Peek '09 - Mark, Natalie and Jamie

This year was the second Seek the Peak for Nataile and I and the first for our daughter Jamie. While we considered taking a different route from last year we decided to stick with the same one (up Lion Head and down Tucks) since it was so awesome the first time and we wanted Jamie to have that experience for her first time up the mountain. We spent the weekend at Moose Brook campground with several other STP groups which was just great. We had planned to get started at 6:00am to beat the crowds but it was 6:30 by the time we got going. The weather may have kept some of the groups from starting early since we had the trails pretty much to ourselves most of the way up.

Heading up Tucks

The weather was comfortable for hiking but there weren't many views on the way up. Got a little break in the clouds as we got above treeline on Lion Head.

Tim, Val, Debi and company met up with us here

Me and my best girl!

Clearing didn't last long and we were socked in by the time we got to Lion Head.

Got cold and windy too and everyone started adding layers.

And then off into the clouds...

And finally on top (still in the clouds)

Got a great tour of the OBS from Stacey

And after a nice stay on the summit we got our summit photo with one (or two) of the local celebrities before heading down.

We then ventured back out into the crowds that were now headed down Tucks.

As we got near the top of the ravine the clouds started to clear and the rest of the afternoon was incredible!

The snow arch wasn't quite gone and Jamie got her first taste of snow in July

Jamie had had just about enough by the time we got to HoJo's and we barely saw her the rest of the way down as she got into "Seek the End" mode and flew down the rest of Tucks. We met up with Tim&Val again below HoJo's and hiked most of the way down with them.

The dinner/party was excellent again although some were a bit tired.

Everyone had their eye on Brad's car

which actually turned out to be Brad's car!

And the "king of the fundraising" cleaned up the rest of the big prizes

All in all it was another fantastic year for STP and another great day on Mt Washington. Saturday night was great hanging out with the gang at the Moose Brook shelter (thanks Kevin and Judy) and another excellent day Sunday with the mandatory lunch celebration at Moat and a great evening hanging out by the campfire with Tim & Val. Monday began a new adverture for us - but that's another TR...

Can't wait for STP '10!!!

The rest of the photos are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman4...eat=directlink
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Great shots Mark! Glad you had a good seek the peak. How did the rest of your backpacking trip go????
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Excellent, Mark! Also looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip.

Thanks

Thanks guys. The TR from the backpacking trip will be up soon. A bit of an interesting story...
    Mark

Thanks

Great shots Mark. it looks like you guys got some sun. I did not get to much. looks like it got pretty crowded in some places. I guess when you start @ 3 you miss alot of people.Looking forward to your trip report.Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

nice pictures mark
    i like the one of Corey sleeping
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Great pictures and TR Mark. It was nice to meet you at the summit and a few times going down Tucks. I do remember your daughter running past my brother and I. I heard bootsteps come up on us very quickly, and when I turned around to let the person pass, I noticed it was your daughter. She was going so fast that she slipped on a rock and went down on her butt right in front of us. She got right up though, and continued on. I suppose only her pride was hurt a little.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtruman View Post
    Thanks guys. The TR from the backpacking trip will be up soon. A bit of an interesting story...
    oooohh...now we're left in suspense.

Looking forward to hearing about it and seeing the pictures...

Thanks

Mark, it was great to spend parts of our day on and off with you guys! We also noted Jamie flying past us on the descent while we were all collapsing under the mental weight of "we must be at the bottom by now".

T&V

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Miser View Post
    Great pictures and TR Mark. It was nice to meet you at the summit and a few times going down Tucks. I do remember your daughter running past my brother and I. I heard bootsteps come up on us very quickly, and when I turned around to let the person pass, I noticed it was your daughter. She was going so fast that she slipped on a rock and went down on her butt right in front of us. She got right up though, and continued on. I suppose only her pride was hurt a little.
    Good meeting you and your brother too Bob. Yes, our daughter can definitely fly - particularly down the mountains. Combination of young legs and no fear. I'd be afraid that I was going to do a header with every step going that way. Obviously she has a misstep now and then but appears to bounce as well (young body to go with the young legs). She never mentions it to us either. I constantly shake my head at what a tough kid she is. You wouldn't know it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by TrishandAlex View Post
    oooohh...now we're left in suspense.

Looking forward to hearing about it and seeing the pictures...
    Thought I'd have it done tonight but lots of pics to process and the TR is turning into a bit of a novel . Tomorrow - I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim&Val View Post
    Mark, it was great to spend parts of our day on and off with you guys! We also noted Jamie flying past us on the descent while we were all collapsing under the mental weight of "we must be at the bottom by now".
    T&V
    Gee, you mean it wasn't just us feeling that "mental weight"? Always seems like HoJo's to Pinkham is about 8 miles long on the way down...
    Mark