Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STP 2010 suggestions

Thanks

Default STP 2010 suggestions

post your suggestions that you put on the survey so we can all se if we are on the same page

i said to have the kick off party at the same tent as the dinner ,there is more room ,places to sit ,no traffic ,a very nice view and maybe more people will attend and hang out to chat with each other

i was going to suggest we have it on the summit but that would be a loooong shot
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Charlie, great idea to ask all of us to post our suggestions here in one spot. I recall suggesting to:

- have prizes for the kids

- offer short sleeve shirts, in addition to long sleeve. We could specify our choice when we first register so enough of each could be made.

- offer another main dish, in addition to Hart's Turkey. I love the turkey, but others may want something different.

- move the Kick-Off Party out of North Conway. Your idea of having it at the tent would be perfect. It would be closer to Moose Brook, and where I stayed at the Jefferson Notch Motel. Flatbread could bring pizza up there, and some hors d'oeuvres would be nice too. I would pay a little extra registration fee for that.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Same suggestion made for the kick-off. I wanted to hang around and see everyone that I hadn't seen since last year, but felt like I was constantly in the way.

Shirts.. maybe consider a techwick material, more conducive to wearing while hiking, versus the cotton shirts.

An optional 2-day hike that some would have to pre-register for (at a possible extra fee). Block all the reservations for Friday night for STPers at Lake of the Clouds. Hike up Friday, evening 'reception' or simple GTG for our tour of the Obs that night after all the 'car-hikers' have gone. Dinner at the hut, then hike down the next day and banquet as usual at the tent.

I also made sure to say that even if they did exactly the same as they did this year, it would still be one of the best events I've ever participated in, such that I plan my calendar around it every year.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    Shirts.. maybe consider a techwick material, more conducive to wearing while hiking, versus the cotton shirts.
    I would be in favor of this~!!
    I am a Summit Club member now~

Thanks

I have to agree about the shirts. Not sure if there is a nice way to put it, but most adults don't have much use for an advertising covered long sleeve cotton shirt (writing on the sleeves was cool when I was 11). That's pretty much standard fare at every $15 5k road race I do. Obviously, the advertising pays for most of the shirt so I'm not sure what the other options are.

An overnight option at Lakes would be cool. Not sure how to set it up, but I like the idea.

Kick-off party in the large tent might be kind of barren since people come over a few hour period, and North Conway is more convenient for most of the hikers.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Poly-pro

I made the same suggestion on the survey. There is no circumstance where I will ever wear the STP shirt on the trail as it is, but if it were quick wick poly pro, I would probably wear it exclusively. Good advertisement.

We made the same suggestion last year but it was decided the cost was too prohibitive.

VFTT just had a bunch made up, they were going for $25 each, but the price has been reduced to $15. Not sure what they paid for them, but it may be more than could be afforded by a non-profit. I'm sure the more that were ordered the lower the price per.

Maybe the best idea would be to have some made up at the best price the Obs with their persuasive powers could get, then sell them at 25% over cost to help with the fund raising. I would certainly buy one!

KDT

Thanks

Another vote for the alternate shirts. Last year's were at least 50/50 and were OK for a second layer in the spring/fall. The all cotton ones this year just can't be used on the trail. Too bad.

I love the idea of the 2 day hike with a night at Lakes. Alternatively it could be a stay at the OBS. How many people could we fit on the floor in all the available spaces?

I'm OK with the kickoff where it is (since we want to eat at Flatbread while we're there anyway). It's easier for us since we come up early and less of an issue with traffic. I know that it's much more of an issue for the locals.

I'd really like to see a raffle that somehow includes the contributors rather than just the hikers. The names could be collected from the web site and some sort of "partner prizes" could be drawn. This is actually a good way to get more people to contribute when they feel that they have a chance to win something. Perhaps not the best motivation, but anything that increases the fundraising...

I'd also suggest sending out some sort of fundraising materials at the time of registration (in place of some of the stuff in the goody bags). An STP bumper sticker or window logo (like the ones they gave out last year) are a good way to advertise before the event. I had several people ask me about the ones on our cars. Perhaps some sort of poster (either mailed with the registration package or dowloadable and printable) that people could hang up at the office, etc.

With all that said I'll echo the sentiment of the others - if nothing changed this would still be an AWESOME event and a huge success. Hopefully all of us can pitch in and help with the logistics for next year's STP and really put it over the top!!!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

With increasing fund raising and participation it's hard to argue that anything should be changed.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I am just extremely happy i got a shirt!
    Thank youuuuuuu!

Thanks

I have corporate logo t-shirts from many different companies - and rarely wear any of them. But, I do wear the STP shirt on a "cool" day. I might push the sleeves up a bit, but it works well (just not for hiking)
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012