Thread: Yet another water question

Thanks

Default Yet another water question

I have seen prior threads and questions about water on the mountain and read the AMC guide. One or more threads indicated there is plenty of water on the mountain. My novice question is this: Are there places on the trails, between PNVC and Lake of the Clouds Hut where one can get potable water, ie. tap, not from springs?
    I know, I know - it's wilderness, and all. I gave some misleading info to a few members of our group recently, based on what I read. Would like to correct myself and clarify for myself and the others. We're all a bunch of newbies, so have patience.

Thanks

If you're going to the summit, there is a sink/faucet just inside the building where you can fill up.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

There is also a pump at Hermit Lake where you can fill up. That and the summit (or Lakes of the Clouds Hut depending on your route) are the only places. Any other water needs treatment. This is more than enough though. If you take 2 liters each and fill up at the summit you'll have plenty.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Yes, like Mark said, a pump at Hermit Lake (follow the signs) that does not need treatment. There is also clean water at the summit, but if neither of these locations are on your route to Lakes then you are out of luck.

Just curious, why do you ask? You should be able to make it to Lakes from PNVC on a full stomach of water and two liters in your pack unless there are special circumstances. If you choose to go light the pump at Hermit Lake is dependable and right next to the trail so that is an option.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I read the recommendations on previous threads suggesting 2 liters per person would be adequate. On a recent training hike, a few of our crew were gulping water. Now, the dew point was in the low 70s (very humid) that day, completely unlike what we will see up there. I run regularly and was able to be a bit more judicious in my intake, even under those conditions. The others were asking about water availability, and based on a few things I read, I said there is plenty of water available, and was then pressed for "well, where?" Let's just say my answer left them a little confused.

I was planning on the 2 liter thing, and don't expect a problem myself. Some of the others are not in the best shape, and haven't done their homework. I wanted to make sure of my information and clarify for them, rather than have grumbling pointed my way ("I thought you said...").

Thanks

i sweat a lot and this year i took 2 camel back bladders and 2 other large bottles of water with me for STP and i used 1/2 . it was not that hot out but the best thing to do is drinl a lot of water the days before the hike ,it works for me
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for