Thread: Pierce/Eisenhower/Whatever 8/8/09

Thanks

Default Pierce/Eisenhower/Whatever 8/8/09

Summit of Eisenhower

Mount Pierce 4312' and Mount Eisenhower 4760'

Crawford Connector, Crawford Path and Mount Eisenhower Loop

9.4 Miles 3000' Elevation gain

Kevin, Judy and Emma

Every now and then you get one of those perfect hiking days. This was it. We arrived in Twin Mountain around 9am in hopes of getting a campsite at Sugarloaf. We knew it would be a long shot, but drove through the CG with our fingers crossed. We had a back up plan in place, but lo and behold, one of the nicest sites was empty! This was starting out great! We quickly pitched the tent, dropped our money in the tube and were ready to be off.

While setting up camp we discussed what a great day it was. We had planned a hike to two viewless summits. Those plans were quickly scrapped. A day like this should be spent above tree line. We drove down to the Clinton Road parking area which was by now beginning to overflow. We got a space near the entrance, grabbed our gear and after a few minor repairs to my backpack, off we went.

The hike along the Crawford Connector was pleasant, the air cool, the sun bright above us. Crossing the small bridge over Gibbs Brook the sun shone down into the water and the bottom lit up like gold. We knew it was going to be a great day! Turning northeast along the Crawford Path we passed several couples and soon realized that one in each pair was blind, being led by the other. Quick reality check to make you appreciate what you've got. I whispered a prayer of thanks to the mountain spirit and felt unworthy.

Indian Pipes just lifting up their heads. Monotropa Uniflora

The path was beautiful and lush and before too long the trees separated and there was a view to the north where we could see Mount Eisenhower and the Northern Presidentials. In moments we turned south and made the foolish little climb up to the summit of Mount Pierce. The views were crystal clear in all directions. I dream that if there is a heaven it is similar to this. I dropped my back. I was starving. Jude emerged from a tree visit. "Have you got anything to eat?" I asked, "I don't." While rummaging through my pack for tools to make quick repairs I had unpacked my sandwiches and left them in the haste to hit the trail. Jude shared hers. Thank God it was P, B&J, sometimes I can't even identify what my vegetarian wife is eating.

Well, we split the sandwich and I had some snacks and totally unsatisfied I slung the pack back on my shoulders and we headed off towards Eisenhower. The views would have to sustain me. They did. Looking to the south and west I was amazed at how many 4Ks I could name by sight. I could even name most of the bumps that a lot of list driven folks ignore. It was truly just glorious to be out there on a day like this.

View Northeast from Mount Eisenhower Loop

As we approached the Mount Eisenhower Loop I wondered about the pile of logs we had seen on the summit in June. I was sure that they must have done quite a bit of trail work and was anxious to see what they had done. We soon came upon some wooden steps, then some stairs. The trail had been rerouted and reinforced in several places. Very nice. Much improved. Kudos to the trailworkers who hefted those timbers and broke their backs digging in the gravel to produce such a beautiful trail, but the real surprise was at the summit.

Years before while we were on the summit of Eisenhower I was appalled by a large group of teenagers who were wandering all over the summit and trampling pretty much everything that was trying to grow there. Their leader made no effort to correct them, so I made a calm, pleading attempt. Besides the blank stares and snorting, I was met with, "Well, where are we supposed to walk?" From what I saw there on this trip, scenes like this will be a thing of the past. The huge summit cairn which was more a pile of rocks which looked like it had slid off a dump truck is gone. In its place is a well crafted cairn similar to those found further north in the Presidential Range. The remaining rocks have been used to line the paths approaching from north and south. There is a large stone circle surrounding the cairn and it is possible to sit on the stones to eat, rest, talk, whatever.

Some Guy with Judy's Dog

We stayed for a good, long while. We met a family that had come up the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail and were contemplating going over to Pierce. They had a carspot at the Edmands Path Trailhead. We convinced them to come back down the Crawford with us to tag Pierce. The quicker moving son and daughter descended with us. We drove them back up to their car at Edmands. Nice kids, very polite and very thankful for the help. We explained it was really nothing, just what hikers do for each other. The young girl left her water bottle in our car, if they happen to read this I'll gladly send it back.

Along the Sugarloaf Trail

What a super day! We crashed early back at the tent. I had eaten my sandwiches left in the car and some more I bought at Brettonwood Station. It was a nice cool night for sleeping and I zonked out. I woke early and realized I could see my breath! It was 37 degrees! Damn, I wish it would snow! We packed up camp and headed over to BW Station again for breakfast, then returned to climb the Sugarloafs for the umpteenth time. The views from there never get old. It was another beautiful morning to hike. It was great to be alive! Monday we went back to hell on earth, but I won't tell you about that. Thank God for the White Mountains!

Complete pics here:

http://ghostflowers.smugmug.com/gall...16466469_JeQWs

KDT

Thanks

Great TR and pics Kevin! We plan on makin this same trek in September. Hope we get the same weather you guys did!
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

Wonderful trip report and pics. Oh how it makes me want to be back there.Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Wow! Just an amazing day to be in the southern presis. The first "summit of Eisenhower" shot definitely needs to go in the photo journal. Thanks for the mention of the blind hikers. We all need to be reminded just how fortunate we are.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Very nice photos and TR. We can tell from the photos that hiking weather doesn't get any better. I agree with Mark, the first photo should be put in this month's photo journal. Thank for sharing!
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Kevin,
    My husband and I were up around Franconia Notch photographing waterfalls on Saturday. We were in the crowds and all I kept thinking is I bet it's gorgeous on any summit. Thanks for the pics I plan to share them with him and hope in the future it will help me convince him to hike up. -debi

Thanks

Thumbs up

Kevin,
    You were so fortunate to have such a terrific day to hike. It's about time you had a break in the weather. And another first class report and pictures too.
    Could Fall be far off?
    Little D

Thanks

Default Photos

Kevin, I can't put my finger on it, but there is something different about your photographs. Are you using the same camera? Is it the size?

Mike

Thanks

Nice pictures - and really nice fleece jacket you are wearing.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the kind comments!

Yeah Brad, pretty soon we'll be sportin' his and hers MWO fleece jackets! Emma still prefers her fur jacket even though she's the real fundraiser!

Mike: Haven't been doing anything different. Same camera. Maybe just pickin' better stuff to post?

KDT