Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Franconia Ridge hike

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I've got a week to decide, but I think if I am going to do the whole hike I might go up falling waters as suggested; since descending that trail was my main concern. I still may start up Lafayette and just putter along and enjoy myself doing the classic loop. It's a tough call.

Thanks

We did up Flume Slide trail - along the ridge to Lafayette and down the Old Bridal Path in one day many many moons ago. That was back when I was in great shape as a kid. I was figuring today that it has to be 48 years ago. Sounds like a nice 2-day hike to me now.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Just do yourself a big favor no matter what route you decide to take.DO NOT descend by way of the Flume Slide Trail it's treacherous when wet and seeing there are many seeping streams on that trail for a good part of the year it's hardly ever dry

Thanks

Default Old Bridle Path - Greenleaf Hut - Franconia Ridge - Falling Waters

My son and I recently did a 2 day hike up Old Bridle Path to Greenleaf hut where we spent the night. We did the Lafayette summit that afternoon and then again the next morning so we could walk down the ridge to Little Haystack. If you would like to see the trail as it was on the 18th and 19th, I have a nice set of pictures and some video.

The hike up OBP is enjoyable and once you've made it about half way up the ridge, you have several areas where you can walk out on rock ledges for views of Lafayette and Lincoln. There are a couple of spots where you can look west to Cannon and its cliffs as well. The hut was a great stop and both Mike and I really enjoyed the food, sleeping bunks and staff. A very entertaining bunch. Oh, did I mention the food was awesome?

The walk along the ridge provides some stunning views both east and west and we stopped often just to look around.

Descending Falling Waters was hard, so if you decide to loop in the other direction, it may be more enjoyable. Or, it could just be I'm out of shape.

Hope you have a great trip!

Thanks

Glad to here that you guys had such a good trip and enjoyed the hut. Our best memories of the White Mountains are from our hut hikes the last two summers. Really missed not going to any of them this year. Then again, Fall isn't a bad time to be up there either...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Thanks for the info and the visual aids. I think I'm going to try up falling waters down to flume then back to Lafayette; as just recently I decided I don't like difficult downhill trails. I'd rather enjoy a "leisurely" (relative term) descent than ascent. I'll let everyone know how it goes and try to take pictures if i'm allowed to bring the new digital camera; i broke the old one last year descending Boott Spur

Thanks again Everyone!

Thanks

Great photos and video Corey. Looks like you guys had two great days. Thanks for sharing.

Good luck on your hike claaky23. Hope you have a great time. And you have to convince your fiance to let you take the new camera. How are you going to write a TR here without any photos.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

Default We are go for Launch

Weather looks good for Sunday so I'm a go.
    Again, I'll be going up Falling Waters, down to Mt. Flume, back over to Lafayette, down old bridle.

I am being allowed to take the Camera so I should have some good pics and my first ever TR!

-John

Thanks

Have a great hike. Be looking forward to your first TR and photos.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set