THanks, Chris. Hopefully, the rain will stay away. We will do the hike even if there's rain and wind (just not lightning).
Our finish has now been changed to Sunday, the 30th. Other details remain the same.
We just didn't feel like getting struck by lightning and/or being blown off the mountain on Sat....
Last edited by TrishandAlex; 08-28-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Probably the better of the two days. It looks like Danny will be over Nova Scotia by Sunday morning. Good luck on your last one!
I never want to see a day
That's over forty degrees
I'd rather have it thirty,
Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!
My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set
Tomorrow's Upper Summit forecast calls for chilly temps and potentially high winds. It will be a cloudy day, but at least there probably won't be any rain.
The following isn't directed at anyone in particular -- it's a general statement because I know at least four families with young children who were thinking of hiking with us --
Those who were planning on coming and bringing their children -- please bring all necessary layers (including wool hats, layers for hands, etc.) and if the winds are indeed high, please be okay with stopping at treeline if necessary. Alex and I will go forward with facemask, balaclava, goggles, and all winter layers. I may tether the two of us together. Who knows, we might even need to crawl a good part of the way once we're in the wind. We find this kind of fun, but I doubt the novice kid hiker would enjoy the experience. Also, I don't want any accidents happening tomorrow, or anyone getting hypothermia. So once we get to treeline, we'll each have to make our own assessments and do what's best for our own kids. Also, please know that if it's really windy, my youngest will stay below treeline with her father, so you'll have company if you need to wait.
Please everyone, lets make sure any and all kids stay safe, warm and happy.
If it's too windy to linger at the summit, then we will tag it, and go back down Gorge Brook and wait for other hikers just below treeline.
Our ETA is still 1pm. Realistically, we could get there anywhere between noon and 1:30. If we're not at the summit and it's terribly windy, please come down Gorge Brook, we'll try to wait immediately below treeline (wherever we're out of the wind).
We'll stay on the summit or out of the wind on Gorge Brook until 2pm, then we'll head back down.
We'll wait at the Lodge until 5, then head over to MadRiver's, where we'll stay until 8pm.
Looking forward to this!
Still wish we could make it. Looks like a good decision putting it off till tomorrow. We'll be looking North and thinking about you guys at 1:00 tomorrow!
Keep close to Nature's heart...
and break clear away, once in awhile,
and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir
Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page