Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Ever hear of Morning Glory clouds?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Hampton, NH
    Posts
    832
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Dartmouth,MA.
    Posts
    1,416
    Thanks
    343
    Thanked 173 Times in 116 Posts

    Default

    Thats pretty wild.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kingston,NH
    Posts
    2,195
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 372 Times in 193 Posts

    Default Easy!

    He's flyin' a cropduster!

    KDT

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mount Washington, NH
    Posts
    362
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 110 Times in 42 Posts

    Default

    aka Roll Clouds and I believe they mostly occur over the south Pacific.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    2,059
    Thanks
    735
    Thanked 325 Times in 246 Posts

    Default

    They are pretty cool looking clouds!
    Bob

    I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

    My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,680
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 33 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knapper View Post
    aka Roll Clouds and I believe they mostly occur over the south Pacific.
    Are they the same as roll clouds? I don't think they are.

    There was a great article in Weatherwise a few years ago about Morning Glory clouds over norther Australia. I sort of got the impression that Morning Glory only formed in this particular region of Australia. Then again, maybe it's like champagne and sparking wine. Same drink, same grapes, but only champagne comes from a particular region in France.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    504
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 84 Times in 54 Posts

    Default Morning Glory Clouds?

    We saw these clouds while at Acadia National Park back in June.


    Could they be "Morning Glory Clouds"?

    Mike

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mount Washington, NH
    Posts
    362
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 110 Times in 42 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
    Are they the same as roll clouds? I don't think they are.

    There was a great article in Weatherwise a few years ago about Morning Glory clouds over norther Australia. I sort of got the impression that Morning Glory only formed in this particular region of Australia. Then again, maybe it's like champagne and sparking wine. Same drink, same grapes, but only champagne comes from a particular region in France.
    Morning Glory clouds are a form of Roll Clouds, I wrote a report paper about them in college and if you seach "Morning Glory Cloud" this can be confirmed further. Although Morning Glorys are named only for a specific part of Australia, they can and do form around the world. I think you put your own question to rest best with your explanation with champagne vs sparkling wine.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,680
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 33 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Legs and Little d View Post
    We saw these clouds while at Acadia National Park back in June.


    Could they be "Morning Glory Clouds"?

    Mike
    I don't think they are Morning Glory. They are high level gravity waves.

    The Wiki about Morning Glory does mention they have been seen over Nova Scotia and Sable Island...not that far from Acadia.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Hampton, NH
    Posts
    832
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    Gravity waves are crazy to watch (in time lapse)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXnkzeCU3bE

    Kirk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •