Thread: Power?

Thanks

Lightbulb Power?

Hey Everyone, these may be silly (or not) questions but....
    Where does the electricity come from on the summit? Is it generated there or are there lines running up from below? Or...is there any at all? Is it all solar (although I don't see any large panels)? I know it's heated with propane (huge tanks next to the ob's tower) and how does that get delivered in winter? Just curious. I did a quick search to make sure I didn't double post and didn't see anything. Thanks a lot!

Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by detour to the whites
    Hey Everyone, these may be silly (or not) questions but....
    Where does the electricity come from on the summit? Is it generated there or are there lines running up from below? Or...is there any at all? Is it all solar (although I don't see any large panels)? I know it's heated with propane (huge tanks next to the ob's tower) and how does that get delivered in winter? Just curious. I did a quick search to make sure I didn't double post and didn't see anything. Thanks a lot!

Rich
    The power is generated by the state using kerosene, if you search the forum, I think you'll find a discussion thread on the generators, where/what/when. Heat is Kero as well, not propane, and the large tanks are all K1.

The only propane that I'm aware of on the summit is for the stoves.

Anyone else have more on this...

Thanks

Here is a link to the other thread about power.

Long story short, there is a plan to run grid power to the summit. Not sure where that stands.

Solar power would be cool, but that just couldn't supply the amount of power needed for the summit. Mainly, the large radio transmitters.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by detour to the whites
    and how does that get delivered in winter?
    I think it is fair to say not much gets delivered in the winter. There is quite a production in the summer to resupply. But, I do not know the actual schedule of events.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

That propane tank next to the tower is just for cooking, and I think its a standard size tank. When you are just using it for cooking it lasts a long time...all winter and longer.

The kerosene is stored in several large tanks just below the summit. If somebody has some pictures please post them. These tanks are huge...like swimming pool size. They hold enough kerosene to last the whole winter.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

It takes three big rigs to fill the kero tanks twice per year. Once in fall and once in spring, weather allowing. The auto road must be completely free of other traffic while the kero trucks are on the road. That should give you an idea of how large the tanks (and fuel consumption) are on the summit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    That propane tank next to the tower is just for cooking, and I think its a standard size tank. When you are just using it for cooking it lasts a long time...all winter and longer.

The kerosene is stored in several large tanks just below the summit. If somebody has some pictures please post them. These tanks are huge...like swimming pool size. They hold enough kerosene to last the whole winter.

Here's a good pic of them I found in the photojournal. They are big...

http://www.mountwashington.org/photo...05/03/1129.jpg

Thanks

Hey! Thats me in the orange jacket!

Thanks

I believe the tanks below the summit are five 20,000 gallon tanks giving a total capacity of 100,000 gallons. That was needed when TV was up there but the summit building and other services on the summit don't require anywhere near as much power as the TV transmitters that were there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Dent
    I believe the tanks below the summit are five 20,000 gallon tanks giving a total capacity of 100,000 gallons. That was needed when TV was up there but the summit building and other services on the summit don't require anywhere near as much power as the TV transmitters that were there.
    I didn't realize they were that big, makes sense though. Maybe when grid power comes to the summit those tanks can be removed.
    Bill
    EasternLight