Thread: Hiking The Precipice Trail - Acadia NP - 8/25/09

Thanks

Default Hiking The Precipice Trail - Acadia NP - 8/25/09

We had another fantastic week in Acadia last week. Cut a little short by the passing hurricanes on each end, but still awesome. We've been going to Acadia for nearly 15 years now and had never done this hike before. Most of the time it hasn't been an option since the trail is closed most of the summer for the nesting Peregrine Falcons. With my acrophobia this hike has always been a scary proposition for me anyway so the trail being closed was always a blessing in disguise. Last year the trail opened early and we talked about the possibility but I still managed to avoid the issue - with several other fantastic hikes. This year we had spent the first two days avoiding the rain from the passing hurricane (that never materialized during the day but kept us mopping up the tent at night). On Tuesday morning the weather was perfect. Natalie (my wife) has always wanted to do the hike and Jamie (our 14 year old daughter) had been feeling like she didn't want to be wasting the last week of her summer vacation with Mom and Dad and was in a generally foul mood - which I figured might be improved by a good scramble up a sheer cliff (which she has alway loved). So, let's try to put the acrophobia aside for today and get on with it...

For those that aren't familiar with The Precipice it is basically a vertical route up the cliffs on the East face of Champlain Mountain. I knew that there were iron rungs and rails on many of the tough stretches but wasn't sure how much exposure there really was (with nothing to hang on to). For some reason I'm fine with the heights as long as I've got a grip on something - but walking a narrow ledge with a sheer drop isn't so good (as I found out on the much easier Beehive a few years ago).

The lower section of the trail is a quick hike in basically to the base of the cliff. You very quickly come to the first obstacle which is a small ledge with a single rung to get up and a rail to grab over the top. It's quite a stretch and a good test for what's to come. There were actually several people who were ahead of us on the trail that took one look at this and turned around. We pulled ourselves up quite easily - although the ledge was wet and quite slippery on top which was a cause for concern for me. But on and up we go.

There isn't much to say about the rest of the trail. It is basically all straight up across a series of switchbacks up the cliff punctuated by about 100 rungs, railings, ladders, etc that go up the cliff face. The views over Frenchman's Bay start almost immediately and are absolutely spectacular. I had no problem all the way up with the exception of two open ledge traverses that had no handholds. These are like the sections on the Beehive that are a ledge a couple of feet wide with a vertical wall on the left and a sheer drop on the right <gulp>. Better yet, the first one was bisected by a crack the whole length of the ledge and the left of the crack was wet and "greasy" leaving only a small (seemed like inches) dry area to traverse directly above the edge. No problem though - sit down and drag across on my butt. I have no pride...

In short order we were over the cliff and stopped for lunch before we got to the summit with its crowds from the other easier trails. We had the mountain all to ourselves and it was spectacular! Heading for the summit there was one last set of rungs and then we were on top. After a short time soaking in the views we headed down the Bear Brook and East Face trails back to the road. We've done this descent (Bear Brook anyway) the last two years when we've gone up Champlain from the other side and it is one of the nicest mountain descents anywhere. Continuous vistas over Frenchman's Bay as you wind down the open ridge. Fantastic!

I can't say how glad I am that after all these years I finally convinced myself to do this hike. Perhaps it is one more step to curing the acrophobia. All I know is that I can't wait to get back and do it again! Oh, and the best part - about 1/2 way up Jamie said "man, this is so much fun". Nothing better than that!!!

A few photos below. Complete album here: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman4...15596755531266

Jamie stradling the trail (down into that crack)

Rungs and railings

Quite the twisted section

One of the scary stretches with no handholds - but what a view!

Nat and I just hanging out

Shouldn't this be at the bottom?

Beautiful Champlain summit

The road down

A last look back. We hiked this?!?!
    Last edited by mtruman; 08-30-2009 at 08:53 PM.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Oh my goodness! What a spot and the view.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Wow! Looks like you're ready for Huntington Ravine for next year's STP! Congratulations on a great hike and for finding something that Jamie could enjoy with you! The pictures are beautfful!

Thanks

Great trip report and fantastic pictures. That dragon fly looks huge. The views are incredable. I am like you. Well almost I don't think I could have done that hike. I also have a fear of height. If there is something to hold onto all the way up then maybe. As for sliding on your butt hey been there done that. Looking at your pictures tells me you have more guts than me. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Mark, you need to be banned from posting you TRs! Every time, my trip list gets longer. I didn't have Acadia on my list AT ALL, until now.

We need to vote to approve human cloning, now! This seems to be the only way I'll be able to sneak out of the house often enough to catch up on my hike list, is having a copy of me to leave behind to do all my chores.

(Oh yeah, great report and pics Mark!)
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    We need to vote to approve human cloning, now! This seems to be the only way I'll be able to sneak out of the house often enough to catch up on my hike list, is having a copy of me to leave behind to do all my chores.
    BlueDog, I agree! There's so many great hikes to do and not enough free time to do them. A clone would be perfect. Especially for those of us that live a little far from New England.

Great TR and photos Mark. That vertical ascent looks a little frightening, but I bet the views make it worth it.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Mark, we just returned from Acadia too. First time being there in August and although the Precipice was open, we managed to just drive by and wave. My 9 year old was quite upset with me (he was a bit bored on the Beehive)! Glad you enjoyed it and nice TR. Thanks for sharing.
    ~Rich

Thanks

Thanks for the comments all.

Bob and Erich - I agree totally. If either of you guys work out the cloning thing please let me know. I think I need one of myself for the job/home stuff and at least two for the hiking.

Chris and Rich - if I can make it up there you could too. Not nearly as scary as it seems and worth every bit of resolve necessary to do it. Your son would love it Rich.

Val - not sure I'm up to Huntington Ravine yet. Not any iron rungs and railings there last time I checked. On the other hand Nat is working on getting me to the Knife Edge on Katahdin next year so HR may not be so bad after all. More time needed in high places to overcome that acrophobia...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page