Thread: Evening temps @ Lake of the Cloud week of Sept 7th

Thanks

Default Evening temps @ Lake of the Cloud week of Sept 7th

Can anyone give me a general idea of what the temps will be like up at Lake of the Cloud during the week of the Sept 7-11? Might be the first time staying at the hut, and also bringing my dad with me for his first hike up the mtn, so I want to be sure he packs appropriately as well.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    Can anyone give me a general idea of what the temps will be like up at Lake of the Cloud during the week of the Sept 7-11? Might be the first time staying at the hut, and also bringing my dad with me for his first hike up the mtn, so I want to be sure he packs appropriately as well.
    Not sure about the temps, but the good thing about the huts are that you get two heavy wool blankets with your bunk so for anything outside of winter a fairly light sleeping bag will still work.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Ah! Yeah, forgot about the blankets. Will the days be good kilt weather is the most important question!
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    Ah! Yeah, forgot about the blankets. Will the days be good kilt weather is the most important question!
    Any day on the Rock Pile in September might be cold weather for kilts. Have a great hike with your Dad. Especially if it's his first time up.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

I can't give you the Lakes data but you can check what the high/low/average temperatures are for the summit for the past four years for those dates by looking at our WS Form F-6 (http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/f6/). Just click on Sept for each year and then it looks like an excel spreadsheet of dates on the left and column descriptions across the top. Just figure Lakes will be a few degrees wamer or cooler at times. Sept is the month we usually get our first inch of snow on the peak and we have already hit freezing a few times this month. So it's that time of year again folks that you have to pack in layers because it might be summer-esque one day and full on fall the next.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

There were a few years in a row that I stayed with the croo the day after the hut closed. Always chilly on the mountain that time of year. A few times we saw ice, most times were in the 30s or 20s.

I guess it could be 40s, but still, not summer sleeping bag weather...
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimS View Post
    There were a few years in a row that I stayed with the croo the day after the hut closed. Always chilly on the mountain that time of year. A few times we saw ice, most times were in the 30s or 20s.

I guess it could be 40s, but still, not summer sleeping bag weather...
    Sounds like both blankets will be in order. Not sure about the kilt
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

That's kind of dream range, but the easiest way is to get a 10/14 day forecast on accuweather or weather.com for a nearby town. Compare that to the average conditions for that location and extrapolate up the mountain. If the valley is ten degrees below normal, assume the summit will be ten degrees below normal.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Sept month of change

Hey Blue Dog. Have fun with your dad up at L.O.C. Weather wise you never know what Sept. will throw at you. I was married on the summit on Sept 26 and I hiked up to my wedding. It was so warm that I hiked the whole way shirtless. The next day it was around 32 degrees on the summit. Plan on it being cold and if it turns out to be warm as it did for me ENJOY and wear the kilt. Sept is when the first snow normally falls on the rock pile.