Thread: Ray Evans of Twin Mountain

Thanks

Default Ray Evans of Twin Mountain

I am reminded of a time when I was about 12, when my father took me to meet Raymond Evans who had been a porter at the Crawford House, and had worked for members of my family whom I am to young to have known. He was elderly then, and that was some 15 years ago or more. I believe he must have passed on by now. He was a genial old man, with a plethera of stories to tell, and what a collection he had from Crawford's! Out behind his shed on an old winding dirt road was the original sign from Crawford House, which stood above the port cociere, please excuse my spelling! The sign had been left to the elements for years, I do not know his reasoning. I thought as I was leaving, how sad it was to have such a piece of history, tossed aside like an old car. I guess it did not mean as much to him, as it was history he had lived, he may not have apreciated it's historical value. I have original floor plans, and a great photo of my Great Grandfather stanging beneath that very sign in 1933. I also have many other fine items, including the desk which was my Great Grandfathers, used at the Hotel. Ray Evans was an intersting and great man, and I noticed when I was last at the Highland Center, in the Carriage House was an aerial view of the hotel, donated by Ray Evans. I feel lucky to have had the chance to know him, as there are so few people left who can speak to the glory days of the Grand Hotels, and Grand they truely were, and are.

Thanks

Thumbs up Raymond Willard Evans

Yes!! Raymond Willard Evans was cool. He passed away in the Morrison Nursing home in Whitefield NH. on April 4, 2001. He is now resting with his wife Anne Marie @ the St. Margaret Cemetery in Twin Mountain NH. Cemetery is right across from the old General store. He is in row M. I am going to stop by there 11/21/09.. Anyhow your right about his collection. Ray had a huge collection. I know I own some of his stuff and search for more. Check out the book "Life by the tracks" by Virginia C. Downs. Ray is in this book and talks about when he and his family lived way up Mt. Willard in the house by the tracks. Ray also talks about his jobs at the Crawford House. Ray was a well known hiker too. Was a lifetime member in the Appalachian Mountain Club. Here is a fact maybe you don't know!. During WWll..Ray was a sniper instructor in the 10th Mountain Div. Wow that was crazy.. I have pictures of The Crawford House that Ray took before the Crawford burnt down. I can't figure out why his collection is NOT being bought up by a museum. Check out the web site "Find A Grave" I take care of Raymond's page there. I have done alot of research into the Evans family and would love to sit back with his 3 sons and just listen to them talk about the past. Cool...bob

Thanks

Bob,
    You and I are both lucky to have met the man, as he was a real gem. Even as young as I was, i remember his little house on Evans way in Twin Mountain, and it being packed to the rim with collectibles. He was excited to meet me, as a descendant of the Barrons, who were his employers way back when. he told me stories of my Great Grandfather Barron, and I will never forget the old wooden sign from Crawford's discarded behind the shed.Ray is missed and will always be missed. I took my young nephew for a hike this summer from Crawford's to the Mt. Willard Section House foundation, and was pleased to see what had been done with Hattie's Memorial Garden, and what a beautiful plaque. Take care.

Thanks

We hiked up to memorial and foundation this past summer too. My 11yo son and I love thinking about the time when these fine people lived there; what it must've been like. I bought the book,"Life by the tracks".
    ~Rich