Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NH Mt Lion Sighting

Thanks

I'm not so sure it would be good for mountain lions to be reintroduced. I may be wrong but, I have heard that if one is going to attack let's say a hiking group, they will choose the smallest person. This relates to the topic here of hiking with small children. Just imagine hiking down a trail and from behind a lion grabs a 6 year and drags him/her into the woods faster than anyone could chase it. Since I don't know of any hiker that carries a gun to fight off an attack, that would be a terrible thing to happen.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Miser View Post
    I'm not so sure it would be good for mountain lions to be reintroduced. I may be wrong but, I have heard that if one is going to attack let's say a hiking group, they will choose the smallest person. This relates to the topic here of hiking with small children. Just imagine hiking down a trail and from behind a lion grabs a 6 year and drags him/her into the woods faster than anyone could chase it. Since I don't know of any hiker that carries a gun to fight off an attack, that would be a terrible thing to happen.
    I agree with you Bob.I don't think it would be a good idea.Not only for people hiking with small children;but for all of us who also hike with our dogs.Particularly those who do not keep them on a leash.
    Anna

Thanks

I heard the same story here in Jersey, I am wondering if it could be one of those urban legend type rumors..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whitemtnvisitor View Post
    Life would be a lot more exciting if mountain lions were re-introduced into this region. Even more so if they were re-introduced into Fairfield County, Connecticut.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That wouldn't last long. They freak out now about bears & have them quickly captured & then released in Litchfield, County.

They also freak out about bobcats in southern CT, ha!

I'd love to see wild mountain lions, and I wouldn't mind if they returned.

Thanks

MelNino

That's funny about the bobcats. I know what you're saying. I would have no problem with the reintroduction of certain species in CT. I know a number of people who used to really enjoyed the occasional visits from the local bears. Now that they live in an area that has become a "dumping ground" for relocated bears, they now have a bear nuisance problem. I also have a friend who knows the difference between bobcats & mountain lions & he saw one while mountain biking although the official word is that there are none in CT.

Thanks

THe bobcat incident I'm thinking of was a few years ago....a bobcat was just chillin' in the backyard in *souther CT town.* The owner of said backyard thought it was cool, and took vidoes for his kids, but the neighbors flipped put and called the cops to shoot the "mountain lion." I'm pretty sure the cat wandered off.

Haven't seen any bears, but my bf saw one at his office. No harm done, and the bear hasn't been seen since.

Thanks

Exclamation CT Bobcats and Mountain Lions

Quote Originally Posted by MelNino View Post
    THe bobcat incident I'm thinking of was a few years ago....a bobcat was just chillin' in the backyard in *souther CT town.* The owner of said backyard thought it was cool, and took vidoes for his kids, but the neighbors flipped put and called the cops to shoot the "mountain lion." I'm pretty sure the cat wandered off.

Haven't seen any bears, but my bf saw one at his office. No harm done, and the bear hasn't been seen since.
    Patients of mine who live in Brooklyn,CT.came in today. They told me they have had a Mama bobcat and her cub in the woods behind there house since Springtime.

They also said about 150ft.into the woods beyond their property boundry the land drops off steeply with many rock outcroppings and large crevices that could be used as dens.They themselves have not seen any mountain lions but the previous caretaker of the property told them he has in the past and some of their neighbors have also.

So don't let anybody mislead you.They are out there.