Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: meet Richard

Thanks

Im not sure we actually hijacked this thread. Patricks pictures are going to bring out questions and challenge our thinking so talking about these things is actually cool in my opinion. It would be silly if we saw something in one of his pictures that we wanted to discuss and had to start a whole new thread to discuss it.

Patrick, please let me know if I am out of line here.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

No problems...I mentioned the hunt; it was part of the idea of the post, seeing the moose after the hunt.

I'm not against hunting, but I could only do it if there was a need. Someone has to kill and butcher the meat that I eat. Most hunters are fine, but there are the cavalier jerks.

The moose hunt is not about putting meat on the table for poor people because it's expensive and it's a gamble. Traditionally, the "success" rate is 60%. Hunters spend a lot of money on the hunt. They buy a lottery ticket. If they are chosen, they buy a permit, gun, ammo, gas, lodging for a week, food, beer, restaurants, etc. You have a 40% chance of not coming home with meat. At the market, you have a 100% chance, and the meat is cheaper and it's prepared. If you get a moose you still have to butcher it. Most hunters pay a butcher. By the time you have your moose venacin on the table, it ain't cheap, and you might not even get a moose.

There are tremendous economic pressures to increase the hunt by local business interests.

You don't see hunters in old crappy trucks; they all have nice new vehicles. The idea that NH moose hunters need cheap meet to feed their families is simply not reality. It's far cheaper to get meat at the store. I'm not saying it has to be in order to be justified, but it's not that. It's a sport. Many say they want a big bull with a big rack. You don't eat a rack and the bigger they are the tougher the meat.

The idea that it's a sport is absurd to me. I could hunt moose with my sword. ( yes, I have a real medievil sword that I swing for excersize ). I could hunt moose with a baseball bat. If it's a sport for anyone to hunt moose, they completely suck as a hunter. They should be a vegatarian.
    Last edited by forestgnome; 11-17-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    nature photography of the White Mountains
    by Patrick LaFreniere
    new site: www.pbase.com/myworld

Thanks

Question Kazossa and mama

Patrick I was wondering if you have had any sightings since the hunt was over of Kazossa and his Mother?Hope they're O.K.

Anna

Thanks

Well said Patrick.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS View Post
    Well said Patrick.
    yes and keep hunting and shooting them with your camera its better that way
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

The best thing about shooting them with your camera is you can keep shooting, with a gun you only get one shot.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Good points! Anna, I haven't seen Kezossa and Mom, but I, too, have changed my daily patterns and I have not been out there much in the past two weeks, so they may be around. I'm hoping to be out there this weekend.

happy trails
    by Patrick LaFreniere

Thanks

I can't wait to see your pictures.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anna LeBlanc View Post
    Patrick I was wondering if you have had any sightings since the hunt was over of Kazossa and his Mother?Hope they're O.K.

Anna
    I haven't been out there much still. However, the time I did go recently I met a nice woman who described a sighting of three moose. Based on description, location and behavior, I am sure they are Kezossa, Mom and boyfreind ( the junior bull who was hanging with them the last few times I saw them in October ). Her sighting was last week. It's interesting that they are still all together.

Hope I see them this winter. Cool stuff to ponder
    by Patrick LaFreniere

Thanks

Talking

Thank you Patrick!I'm so glad they are still all O.K.

Anna