It has been my privilege to visit many of the "gems" that are tucked away in the beautiful forests of the White Mountains. Many of these treasures require a bushwhack and are seldom visited. Just recently I was grateful for the opportunity to accompany my friend Steve to visit a couple of "gems" that he had come across during previous explorations of the Olivarian Brook Valley.

On this particular day, the lighting was sub-optimal for photographing the vistas from a low elevation (ca. 2100 ft) cliff on the east side of the Olivarian Brook. However, it was still a wonderful treat to witness a unique close-up view of Square Ledge with Mt. Passaconaway looming in the background.

From this same location there was also a unique perspective of Hedgehog Mtn flanked on the left by the Hancocks, and on the right by Mt. Carrigain/Carrigain Notch.
A slightly zoomed photo is shown below.

On this same day we did one other off-trail trek by going a short distance up one of the tributary brooks to visit a segmented cascade which was quite picturesque.

Steve has posted a detailed description of our trek (plus additional photos) on his blog which can be accessed by clicking HERE.

1HappyHiker