Thread: SUGGESTION: Dedicated Marty & Summit Cat Page

Thanks

Default SUGGESTION: Dedicated Marty & Summit Cat Page

No doubt Marty brings in supporters for the MWOBS that otherwise might have never happened. Case in point: Myself !

Although long fascinated with the weather and having climbed the rock pile numerous times in my distant younger years, the other reason for joining was to keep up on Marty's adventures.

Let's see... already plenty of great web-cams on the summit.... How about a "Marty-Cam" so his many admirers can check in and possibly catch a glimpse of him "in action" (or in-action (ie: napping) ???

Perhaps my taking in 18 from the local shelter that get otherwise passed over being too sick or old, this is a biased opinion. But my hunch is that a Marty/Cat Page added officially to the MWOBS site will be one of the more popular !

I personally would prefer NOT to have it take on the form of a "fan club" on Facebook, unless that was done separately, as then a "fan club" format would work.... But rather from what life is like atop the summit from the perspective of Marty.. (BIG difference !).. One could have all kinds of fun with it such as weather reports from the perspective of the Observatory's star feline...

Not that this should ever detract from the Observatory's main objective, instead it could only enhance the Observatory's mission by well "lubricating" the financial gears so to speak.

Even Madison Ave knows the power of animal spokesmen.... Consider Tony the Tiger, The Energizer Bunny, the Geico Gekko, Morris the Cat, even our own Govt with their Smokey the Bear. It's a long list when you start to notice...... Madison Ave changes millions to create a Morris, Energizer Bunny etc etc etc... Consider that the Observatory has something even far better: their own living breathing spokes feline that's already gone national and without having spent little more than providing shelter, food and vet services when needed... Consider the possibilities.... This if executed properly would be nothing short of a marketing gold mine ! All that Marty need do is carry on as normal and occasionally pose for some pictures and video... Anyways, one web location right on the MWOBS site where visitors can view all the info and imagery of Marty, the former Nin, Jasper and Inga...

Make some content available to non-members just to entice them to become a member. As it is now for casual visitors to the site, there is pathetically little web content on the site concerning the summit cats; short of a few well hidden pictures... If he's become that popular with so little to almost no effort, consider the possibilities..

My own site has a dedicated "Cat Page".... It is the 2nd most popular page on my own company site.
    http://www.videointerchange.com/cats.htm Not exactly the form I'd use for a Marty - Nin - Jasper - Inga page, but the point is that it is a major draw....

Even at my age, I'm now considering another last trip to the summit next summer (this time via the auto road or cog due to my age). Partly to see the station and to recall my younger years... But mostly just to possibly meet Marty in person !

Hint: a page link just before "Forum" on the home page would be an ideal location that would be easy to find...

In the take it for what it's worth dept: perhaps something to "mull over".....

Just my take on it !

Thanks

Reppy, well thought out! I personally love what you propose, and would not only check a section like that everyday, I would spread the word to all cat lovers I know. Then they would spread it even further. And if the OBS needed any help with this, I'd help in any way that I could. >^..^<
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Hello Snow Miser

I've only been a member for little more than a week, so perhaps my views don't count as much yet being a "newbie" and all. But from all I've read in the forums, I have yet to read anything from anyone about not including more of the summit cats in some form or another... Seems clear that the majority of the web audience wants a lot more on Marty's adventures and all that's available on the former summit cats. It adds a certain personal touch and warmth to the site that is difficult if not impossible to achieve otherwise...

The observatory staff would of necessity be "burdened" with providing at least a daily photo, video clips from time to time, maintaining a "Marty-Cam" (hopefully) and noting his daily adventures.. Perhaps another task or opening for another summit volunteer ??? I'm certain there would be many supporters willing to do the actual writing, maintaining a photo gallery etc to assist in any way possible...

As Anna so astutely observed in another thread and phrased in a manner I can't improve upon: "It's not just about the weather;it's about the lives of the people on the summit who dedicate their lives to it." Marty figures heavily into that... That's the human interest part of the equation and what should draw visitors and thus new memberships like a magnet...

Course the downside would be the site being potentially inundated with daily hits and eating into the server bandwidth... Hmmmm....... Such troubles to have !

________
    Bob

Thanks

Are you a member of just the forums or the Observatory itself? If you're not I suggest joining. Once you do you'll notice a large amount of content devoted to the cat. The quarterly journal has an article written by Marty and the weekly video updates frequently feature Marty. I've first hand seen how much time it takes for the observers to translate that article for the cat...it's a lot of work.

Considering they are running a Weather Observatory the amount of time they spend reporting on the cat seems just right.

Daily Marty photos or even a "Marty-Cam" seems quite distant from the mission of the Obs. Again, a Weather Observatory! I'd seriously consider sending my money elsewhere if, instead of looking at a new weather cam, I had to watch a webcam of Marty cleaning himself. If I know cats, and I'd like to think that I do, that's all they do. They sleep, they clean themselves and they eat.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Reppy,

I like how you use Morris the Cat and the Budweiser Clydesdale's as examples as to how Marty could be used as a marketing mascot to bring a warm side to the OBS website. The main focus to the whole operation would certainly be the weather and what the crew does, but Marty would bring more of a warm, comical flavor to things. Cats do funny things from time to time, and that would be nice to see more of those on the site and also in Windswept.

I must admit, I love the website and every other part of this organization for the weather, but when I see a comment from Marty, or an article in Windswept from him, I really focus on reading them first.

Finally, I do whole hearted agree when you say "But one observation accumulated over the years is that whether a business is non-profit or not, it behooves any business entity to keep an ear to the ground and listen to it's customers... On Stage the golden rule is to "give the audience what it wants". I currently work for a large corporation based in Windsor Locks, CT and we recently got a new president, and when he visited our location to say hello, that is the one thing he must have said to us ten times. And do you know what, he is absolutley correct!
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Default Marty Page - Final Thoughts

Seems the observatory has spoken, and for the moment: No dynamic Marty page.....

Supposedly a static sort of Fan Club format on Facebook might be in the works....

In any event any Observatory support of such an endeavor does not appear to be in the cards, and any other solutions by hosting a site to swap even personal materials outside the direct control of the Observatory will not be condoned if I read the statement correctly...

So seems that puts the kibosh on the entire idea....

Some final thoughts before I put this all to bed so to speak... (for me anyways...)

Seems every successful corporation has a cartoon/animal spokesman now a days.....
    Geico has it's glorified talking Lizard

General Mills it's Kelloggs "Tony The Tiger"

Mr. Kleen

Mighty Mouse

Jolly Green Giant

Trix (are for kids) re: it's talking rabbit

Keebler and it's adorable (though possibly gay) Elves

Roadrunner ISP's Roadrunner

Morris the cat (9 Lives) - Rotten cat food, but who can't help but adore (or take pity) on loveable Morris who apparently loves eating slop ??? - - - Morris made "9 Lives" literally an estimated 200 million over the years, & he remains the spokesman ! (I believe this is Morris #4 they are now on..) He even goes on tour of the country !

Smokey The Bear (even our govt (Dept of the Interior)) being experts at controlling the masses - know the power of an animal spokesman !)

Then Bears of ever other ilk it seems... (Vermont Teddy Bears)

Course: Nothing new... Even Exxon at one point gave away faux "Tiger Tails" straight from the Exxon Tiger back in the 60's with each fill up of over 10 gallons. (now a coveted collectors item) - In the ad world it was one of the most successful ad campaigns ever waged. That one ad campaign waged over less than 2 years, made Exxon an estimated Billion (and that's with a "B" - - - and that in early 1970 dollars nonetheless.)

Then even in the 50's.... who could forget "Peter Cotten Tail" (Most of us old duffers, can still recall the jingle & it's lyrics some 55 years later !) "Here comes Peter Cottontail - hopping down the bunny trail......." - ok.... showing my age a bit, huh ?....

Every college - the centers & pinnacles of higher learning have animal mascots. Hard to name one who doesn't... Ever wonder why ???

Animal & Cartoon characters are ingrained into the wiring of the neural networks in our brains as soon as we are able to comprehend images.

Even the most stuffed shirt and conservative of all corporations: IBM, used a Charlie Chaplin look-alike to hawk the introduction of their new PC's ! (admittedly; at least being close to a cartoon character)... Seems to have worked rather well !

Just for kids some say ? Even Wall St has it's Bears & Bulls.

Political Parties: Consider the Elephant and Mule symbols

Then if that's not enough: the two most holiest of holidays in the Christian religion.. Easter and Christmas... Obviously "The Easter Bunny" and Rudolph and the 8 Reindeer come to mind... Mere coincidence ???

Our national symbol: The Eagle

We are so closely tied and linked with animals even on a subliminal basis, that we are often not even aware of it... Savvy advertisers certainly are however !

These are only some that occur to me off the top of my head... (Oh yeah - how could I have forgotten Charlie Tuna !) Just start to notice and there will be hundreds more... What a coincidence, they all made it into the shopping aisles of mainstream America...

Seems every president of late has a cat or a dog.. Let's face it.... If there is one thing a successful politician knows, it's how to appeal and sell to the masses...

Even network television knew a good story when they saw it, and Marty went "National". Unfortunately viewers intrigued by the uniqueness of both the observatory and the life of the summit cat who just had to find out more, go to the MWOBS site and lo and behold: NO MARTY ! - only a handful of well hidden pictures... A colossal missed opportunity... The ship came in and there was no one to meet them at the dock so to speak - so off it steamed to a more receptive port... (personal opinion).

Point is: animal and cartoon characters work - even back throughout the ancient cultures to the days of cave drawings...

True the weather has to come first... But so does financial survival.... In the private sector in slow times, the budget for every dept will be slashed to the bone but for one.... The marketing dept...

And here the OBS is sitting on a ready made marketing goldmine and doing nothing with it.....

Obviously, the lack of a Marty page will not seal the Observatory's fate by any stretch of the imagination I shouldn't think (unless this economy really tanks - which seems to be the direction in which it's headed at the moment - (but that's another matter))..... but after decades spent in advertising, it makes me cringe at such an opportunity just going to waste....

_______

So far I don't recall anyone saying that a Marty Page wouldn't be a good thing.

1> Good for the OBS in drumming up memberships

2> Good for Marty (and all other Cats by also encouraging donations to shelters and adopting their own "Marty")

3> Good for the visitors/members. I see that as a three way win...

_______

Anyways, management has spoken... As such out of respect for their wishes, this will be my last comments on the matter..... I gave it my best shot..

Perhaps food for thought for a later time... Hopefully, I at least added some new ideas and might have planted seeds for something in the future...

If nothing else: at least another way of looking at it......

_______

Bob

Thanks

Seems every successful corporation has a cartoon/animal spokesman now a days
    I think that's the point though -- the Obs is not a corporation, nor does it have corporate resources. And just as one can come up with examples of companies that have "mascots", I would hazard that there are even more successful companies that do not have one. There are probably also many companies that have been hurt by poorly-marketed/managed mascots, and for a small organization that's something that can't be risked. The Obs is clearly aware of the community's desire, and I'm sure they'll act on it as time/resources allow. Pushing them to do something outside their direct mission however is counter-productive.