Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Gloves?

Thanks

Default Good Gloves?

Can anyone suggest some good gloves/mitts for hiking? I'm strongly in favor of mittens. I have a really warm pair for skiing that are a little too warm for hiking/snowshoeing. I have a knitted pair with half fingers and the mitt flips up so I can use my fingers to zip things or take photos. However, once the get wet it's all over and my fingers are froze. SO, what I'm looking for is something similar, yet waterproof (for those fabulous rain/snow days) but won't get clammy on the inside. ANY IDEAS?? I'm thinking of getting some thin gloves to wear under a pair of mitts, but short of having a string run through my sleeves of my jacket like I did as a kid, I'm going to tire of taking them on and off....Any suggestions would be appreciated. I feel the urge to tackle one more 4K this year coming on...

Thanks

I use a winter pair with liners. Then I can start hiking and keep warm - then knock down the just the liner. Then I have a thin pair of gloves for photo work. This thin pair is not all that warm when it is 35 below, so, I need a better option there too.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

I use a pair of medium weight fleece gloves for general hiking, but keep a heavier pair of mittens in my pack in case temps drop during the hike. The mittens are also good as a backup pair should something happen to the gloves.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Miser View Post
    I use a pair of medium weight fleece gloves for general hiking, but keep a heavier pair of mittens in my pack in case temps drop during the hike. The mittens are also good as a backup pair should something happen to the gloves.
    I agree with Bob.You can get some really good windproof fleece gloves at a reasonable price that will keep you warm in all but the coldest conditions.Then switch over to some breathable Gore-Tex mittens as conditons worsen.

Anna

Thanks

Default These

I worked in the PO for 27 years. The letter carriers swear by these.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...i_sku=10910809

I crack one at the start of the hike and its good for 6-7 hours. They can make your hands clammy though if you keep them in all the time. If your hands are good just zip it in a pocket. If you can keep your hands from getting cold in the first place it is a much more pleasant experience. It took me a while to learn and I still have issues with numb fingers, but these help tremendously.

KDT

Thanks

OH yes, I worked at a ski area for a season and couldn't go without these in my boots! I never thought of bringing those along for my hands as well, as I thought they might be too warm (does that even make any sense??).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    I worked in the PO for 27 years. The letter carriers swear by these.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...i_sku=10910809

I crack one at the start of the hike and its good for 6-7 hours. They can make your hands clammy though if you keep them in all the time. If your hands are good just zip it in a pocket. If you can keep your hands from getting cold in the first place it is a much more pleasant experience. It took me a while to learn and I still have issues with numb fingers, but these help tremendously.

KDT
    I have found that if you keep the heat packs on the back of your hand as opposed to in the palm it warms the blood more effectively. Plus you can also use your hands and digits without the hot pack in the way. I'm able to do thus until it gets real cold, like 10 degrees or colder.

Everyone is differnet though, depends on your physiology I guess.

Thanks

i have a pair of EMS water proof gloves and the came with a thin liner glove that i dont think it works well so i got a pair of wool gloves from an army navy store and they keep my hands warm and dry .
    i used them in the cold rain at Brads taking out his dock and they worked great

i also have a pair of EMS wind stopper fleece gloves that work great
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

The layering system applies to gloves as well. Base, mid & shell. Keeping your core regulated properly goes a long, long way toward the comfort of your extremities. Last winters glove system was one lightweight pair for the approach, one pair of mountaineering gloves for climbs above treeline and one pair of mitts just in case. This years glove approach will be one light weight liner, one mid weight fleece or wool insulation layer, one soft shell outer glove and a pair of mitts just in case.

Thanks

I've always had a huge problem with cold fingers. I use the activated carbon heat packs that I break out usually when I'm on the summit, when I stop for a rest and my body heat suddenly drops down. What I discovered, that was kind of a breakthrough for me, is that thin fleece mittens work better for me than liner gloves when it comes to doing things like putting on strap-on crampons or dealing with snowshoes. I am able to maintain enough dexterity even leaving those mittens on. The liner gloves just don't seem to keep my fingers warm.