Thread: Climbing Washington in New Years weekend.

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Climbing Washington in New Years weekend.

Hello guys and gals. I'm new to the forum (just signed up) but no so new to mountaineering. I've visited New Hampshire this summer (2009) and have summited Monroe, Franklin, Washington, and Clay on my first trip, and then Layafette, Lincoln and Little Haystack on the second. The weather on both trips was quite amazing aside from a storm system that began to move in toward the end of the first (while myself and a friend were on Clay).

I'm driving back down to New Hampshire on December 31st and will be hiking and climbing until January 4th when I head back to Toronto.

I want to summit Mount Washington for a second time and be there when the actual New Year arrives (weather permitting). I am aware that there is no tents permitted above timberline during the spring, summer and fall seasons but have been told by an unofficial source that they are permitted during the winter ... in specific conditions. I'm trying to find out exactly what these specific conditions are.

While the storm ended my first trip after four peaks at Clay, I'd like to come back down and climb Washington again, but this time along with Jefferson, Adams and Madison. Maybe some others if weather co-operates and I have time.

I have experience, and have done Alpine climbs so I do have some idea of what to expect, and furthermore am aware of Mount Washingtons reputation weatherwise. This may very well be a solo trip for me but I have done solo alpine ascents in the Canadian Rockies in the past so fear not.

Any information that can be provided would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums adknight! There is some great advice on here about hiking and camping in the Whites. I don't know the anwser to your question, but I am sure others do.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Default camping on Mount Washington

Welcome - this page should answer your questions regarding camping:

http://www.mountwashington.org/about...overnights.php

Tim

Thanks

Thanks for the link Tim.

I have decided that I would prefer to climb up Washington along side the cog railway track up to the col between Washington and Clay. Is the road leading to the Railway and it's parking lots plowed, or is it closed off during this time of the year? I am aware the Railway itself will be closed, I just want to use the parking lot and ascend the mountain from this side if possible.

Thanks

Is the ski train still running? I know that the last couple years the train would go up half way, bring skiiers up and then the trail next to the train was 'groomed' as a ski trail. Not sure if this is the case, but it was last year. Not sure if this would interfere with your plans!