Thread: Think Globally - Support Locally

Thanks

Default Think Globally - Support Locally

on the Observers comments I read today, there is a good deal of thought concerning local farm support. I believe we ALL need to do our part in supporting the local farms and businesses. Otherwise, they will close up and where will we be then? Mr. Finnegan was correct in pointing this out and asking opinions of the observers.

Thanks

We get a vegatable/fruit box sent to us every 2 weeks and split it with another couple. It comes up by boat or plane from Washington as not much can be grown in variety and quantity where I am in AK. In comparing it to costs at the local grocery store, yes it is only slightly more expensive, but the quality is so much better. Everything has to be brought in by boat or by plane here so maybe that is why there is not much difference in price anyways - elsewhere that may be different.

I guess it really just comes down to a cost/benefit thing for most people. I like to support the local farmer because I appreciate the better quality product and the hard work that went into the end product. Plus getting that box is like opening a christmas present - some wild stuff comes in there sometimes.

Thanks

I feel supporting the local farmers in your area is a noble effort. Not only for the excellent food they produce, but also so they do not have to sell their farms to developers. We have a lot of that going on down here in suburban Philadelphia. It's a real shame to see a working farm one day, and almost the next, a cluster of a thousand townhouses.

The prices that they charge are only a little higher than the supermarkets, but the quality is usually much better. In this area we love some local favorites from the farmers like PA Silver Queen corn and New Jersey tomatoes and peaches.

I say if the OBS can source some of their food locally in NH, VT and ME, go for it. The benefits are many.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

Whatever I can't (won't) grow myself, I'd much rather buy from the local farm, farm stand, or market than the grocery store. It's so much better to have fresh veggies, and it's so convenient. Nothing beats fresh corn in the summer, apples in the fall, not to mention cukes and green beans and those strawberries... I grow some of this myself as well, but I don't ever hesitate to stop in and shop. I hate winter in NH : ( since I can't get fresh veggies. That's when the pure Maple syrup comes into play, along with jellies and the like. Now if only I could find a local that made good wine!